Proxmox 2.x / 3.x cluster question

michu

May 20, 2010
Hi,

I need to configure simple 1.x style cluster beetween 2 servers on Proxmox 3.1.
I don't need HA, I don't have shared volume. I have only 2 servers with local storage area (HDDs in RAID).
I only need to have central aministration and offline migration possibility. Is it possible with Proxmox 3.1 ?
Any link for documentation ?

Regards,
Michu

Hi !

HA is not mandatory, If you don't have shared volume you can manage server 1 and 2 like a cluster with not shared datastore (simply server 1 has datastore 1 and server 2 has datastore 2).
The problem ... there is'nt a shared area... if you have an NFS volume shared.. you can try storage migration or use an NFS shared datastore for backup VM on server 1 and restore (offline) on server 2, but storage live migration is more simple.

If you don't wont a shared area, can try to backup VM on server 1 to localhost datastore, move backup via sftp (scp) to server 2 and restore... but a minimal share datastore for backup is recommended.
Luca

Hi,

Sorry for late response. Guys I need to have offline migration functionality like in Proxmox 1.x. I know that Proxmox 2.x and 3.x are basing on corosync while 1.x was basing on ssh and own algorithms.
I have a storage for backup (SSHFS) and I know that I can backup/restore machine.

This is not enough, I just ask if I can click "Offline migration" like in Proxmox 1.x and have machine stopped, compressed, send via network, decompressed, started. Is it possible in 2.x/3.x ? I know that this cause a downtime, but it's not a problem for me in my situation.

Regards,
michu

Stop VM
Click on migrate
Select other node
OK
Once migrated, start VM

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!