Proxmox 2.1 Web interface unstable on Ubuntu

R

rFlex

Hello everyone,

I have got a trouble using Promox since the new web interface. I cannot make it works more than 1 minute without making my browser (firefox or chromium does the same) crashes. It appears when I try to open a VNC console on a virtual machine. It seems to works correctly on Windows using the sun java, but not on Ubuntu using the open source implementation (OpenJDK). A lot of friends who tried Proxmox had the same problem, and finally gave up trying to make Proxmox works fine.

Is this bug known and are there any solutions for fixing it?

Thanks for help :)

Sun Java is not shipped with Ubuntu anymore, you can't find it on the repository and you will have to tweak if you want to install it. OpenJDK is now also the official Java SE 7 implementation.
I just don't understand why it doesn't just works on it. What is going wrong with OpenJDK?

EDIT :
When I launch chromium using a terminal, I found these exceptions raised and printed on my term :

JAR https://host.domain.com:8006/vncterm/VncViewer.jar not found. Continuing.
net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Initialization Error: Could not initialize applet.
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.createApplet(Launcher.java:735)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.getApplet(Launcher.java:676)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:886)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.tigervnc.vncviewer.VncViewer
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:1401)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.createApplet(Launcher.java:725)
... 2 more
Caused by:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.tigervnc.vncviewer.VncViewer
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:1401)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.createApplet(Launcher.java:725)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.getApplet(Launcher.java:676)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:886)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.NetxPanel.runLoader(NetxPanel.java:154)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:379)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:429)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
Error: Unable to fetch applet instance id from Java side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link.
I know OpenJDK does not work sometime on some java application, but my question is more like : What is the problem with?
Why Proxmox is not developped in consideration of the most used Linux Distribution currently? I think the problem should be present on many other distribution maybe?
If a developper have an idea on where the bug comes from, I would be happy to eventually helps to resolve the problem.

Thanks for the link.
I know OpenJDK does not work sometime on some java application, but my question is more like : What is the problem with?
Why Proxmox is not developped in consideration of the most used Linux Distribution currently? I think the problem should be present on many other distribution maybe?
If a developper have an idea on where the bug comes from, I would be happy to eventually helps to resolve the problem.
There is nothing unusual here, even Oracle has only certified using Java7/OpenJDK for a very limited number of products. To be more specific they have only certified Oracle 12c versions of there products which, to my best knowledge, is not currently used in any production environment, BEA Weblogic 12c was first categorized production ready by Oracle in April this year. So at the moment the current production Java stacks runs on SUN Java 5 or 6. Just for the record: Using SUN Java 7 with latest Oracle SOA Suite is resulting in a broken installation!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!