proxmox 2.1 vzdump.conf maxfiles: 5 does not work

kumarullal

Renowned Member
Jun 17, 2009
LA, USA
Hi,
I have 2 Dell R7 servers in a cluster with HA.
I have one windows 2008R2 servers each on both the Proxmox serves.
In both servers /etc/vzdump.comf files I have enables maxfiles: 5
This is the vzdump.conf file
Code:
# vzdump default settings

#tmpdir: DIR
#dumpdir: DIR
#storage: STORAGE_ID
#mode: snapshot|suspend|stop
#bwlimit: KBPS
#ionice: PRI
#lockwait: MINUTES
#stopwait: MINUTES
#size: MB
maxfiles: 5
#script: FILENAME
#exclude-path: PATHLIST

However, When I created a backup set in the Datacenter BAckup Tab, In nodes filed, I selected "All"
Then I selected all the other fields appropriately.

"Start Time" I selected 21:00
The backups are taking place in the /var/lib/vz/dump folders correctly. However, it only saves 1 copy at a time.
It should save 5 copies according the vzdump.conf maxfiles: 5 setup.

Why is this happening?
Can someone please help?
Thanks in advance.

the maxfiles need to be set on the storage definition, not in vzdump.conf (we changed this)

the maxfiles need to be set on the storage definition, not in vzdump.conf (we changed this)

Hi Tom

Let me to do a request:

Is possible add a feature into the PVE GUI for the backups: "Automatically remove old backups" into "create back job" and "Backup now"

The idea is that if I select on PVE GUI "max backups: 5", then PVE remove the oldest backups and I will continue keeping only 5 copies, so personally I will not have to delete files every time. I think most people do daily backups, and this option will be more comfortable, or in the worst case including it where it is most comfortable for you

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!