Proxmox 2.1 new install login rejects root password

A

Acorp

I have a brand new Proxmox 2.1 install. I installed from ISO, then performed an aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade. The server is on my local LAN, and I am attempting configuration from another machine on the local LAN.

pveversion -v yields the following:

pve-manager: 2.1-14 (pve-manager/2.1/f32f3f46)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.92-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.8-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-27
qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-firmware: 1.0-18
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-30
libpve-access-control: 1.0-24
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-31
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

After installing Proxmox (not having logged in to the web interface yet) I ssh'd in to the server, set up an IPv6 address, and confirmed IPv6 access to/from the internet. During this process the server was rebooted two or three times. I then created a CACert SSL certificate, placed it in /etc/pve/local and updated the location/file names and the CACert root/intermediate certificates in /etc/apache2/sites-available/pve.conf and /etc/apache2/sites-available/pve-redirect.conf. I then restarted apache2 with no errors, and went to my web browser to log in to Proxmox.

Proxmox does not accept my root login...the same credentials, however, that work to log in via SSH to my server. I have cleared the cookies/cache/history on my browser (Chrome). I have used a completely separate browser (Firefox) that I almost never use.

I fill in root and the proper password in the first two boxes of the Proxmox log in screen, and make sure the third box (Realm) says, "Linux PAM standard authentication" though I have also tried with PVE authentication since I was desperate. I have rebooted the server, I've changed the root password while logged in via SSH and tried to log in to Proxmox, but no matter what I get a "Login Failed. Please Try Again" message from Proxmox. I even created a new linux user, and tried to log in with the new user...login failed.

Just to make sure I am not crazy and didn't manage to get two computers set to the same IP address or something I stopped apache2 and tried to log on to Proxmox...of course, the web interface does not come up. When I restart apache and try to log in, I see the Proxmox login screen again, so I know I am on the right machine/IP address.

Any ideas? Or is there any way to "reset" PVE data as if it had just been installed? I don't have any PVE data to lose, so that is not an issue. I could simply re-install, but I've already downloaded a couple of multi-GB iso's and template files that I don't want to have to re-download.

Thanks,

- Acorp

I have a brand new Proxmox 2.1 install. I installed from ISO, then performed an aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade. The server is on my local LAN, and I am attempting configuration from another machine on the local LAN.

qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9

After installing Proxmox (not having logged in to the web interface yet) I ssh'd in to the server, set up an IPv6 address, and confirmed IPv6 access to/from the internet. During this process the server was rebooted two or three times. I then created a CACert SSL certificate, placed it in /etc/pve/local and updated the location/file names and the CACert root/intermediate certificates in /etc/apache2/sites-available/pve.conf and /etc/apache2/sites-available/pve-redirect.conf. I then restarted apache2 with no errors, and went to my web browser to log in to Proxmox.

Proxmox does not accept my root login...the same credentials, however, that work to log in via SSH to my server. I have cleared the cookies/cache/history on my browser (Chrome). I have used a completely separate browser (Firefox) that I almost never use.

I fill in root and the proper password in the first two boxes of the Proxmox log in screen, and make sure the third box (Realm) says, "Linux PAM standard authentication" though I have also tried with PVE authentication since I was desperate. I have rebooted the server, I've changed the root password while logged in via SSH and tried to log in to Proxmox, but no matter what I get a "Login Failed. Please Try Again" message from Proxmox. I even created a new linux user, and tried to log in with the new user...login failed.

Just to make sure I am not crazy and didn't manage to get two computers set to the same IP address or something I stopped apache2 and tried to log on to Proxmox...of course, the web interface does not come up. When I restart apache and try to log in, I see the Proxmox login screen again, so I know I am on the right machine/IP address.

Any ideas? Or is there any way to "reset" PVE data as if it had just been installed? I don't have any PVE data to lose, so that is not an issue. I could simply re-install, but I've already downloaded a couple of multi-GB iso's and template files that I don't want to have to re-download.

Thanks,

- Acorp
Hi,
any info in /var/log/auth.log + /var/log/syslog ?? Are there special characters in the password?

Do you connect on the IPv4 address, or IPv6? If I use the IPv6 Address I can't select the certification exception (have the stardard selfsigned certificate) in firefox.

Udo

Hi,
any info in /var/log/auth.log + /var/log/syslog ?? Are there special characters in the password?

Do you connect on the IPv4 address, or IPv6? If I use the IPv6 Address I can't select the certification exception (have the stardard selfsigned certificate) in firefox.

Udo
Hi,
just testet with an cacert certificate and IPv6 - works:
Code:
2001:6f8:1c00:8014:16db:e9ff:fe09:4f1f - - [24/Sep/2012:21:24:13 +0200] "GET /api2/json/cluster/tasks HTTP/1.1" 200 1237 "https://pve1.xxxxx.de:8006/" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:10.0.7) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.7 Iceweasel/10.0.7"
Udo

Hi Udo,

Thanks for the help. Absolutely no (new) lines show up in /var/log/auth.log on a failed log in attempt. Thanks for the suggestion, should have looked there myself!

In /var/log/syslog I get:

Code:
Sep 24 17:44:09 kanai pvestatd[1554]: WARNING: ipcc_send_rec failed: Connection refused

Repeated several times for each log in attempt....actually, I get 6 lines of the same thing, repeated every few seconds, regardless of whether I have made a login attempt or not. That seems like a problem!

I have been attempting to connect via IPv4 on the local LAN (private IP address). I did try a couple of times via IPv6 as well, but don't recall how those attempts went...I do know I was not able to log in via either.

The password had a couple of symbols in it, however I have been able to use these symbols with Proxmox 2.1 in another server. Regardless, I changed it to all lower case letters and am still unable to sign in...I did try "immediately" after changing the password in my SSH session. Is that OK, or is there a delay for PVE to update after a Linux change?

Hope this helps you help me, thanks!

- Acorp

Last edited by a moderator:
..., then performed an aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade. ...

Hi,
BTW: your kernel isn't up to date. Can you try an "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

Udo

Hi Dietmar,

I rebooted several times during the IPv6 set up and configuration (since I am still learning my way through IPv6 it took several attempts to get it right)! I rebooted after the server certificate installation, too. Once I realized I was having trouble logging in to the Web GUI, I rebooted again. I also rebooted after changing my password to remove the special characters, just in case Proxmox doesn't immediately register password changes. The GUI still refuses to accept my password!

Unless it might be of interest to you to resolve this, I am planning on just copying my downloaded ISO's to an external drive, then re-installing Proxmox. I'm not in a huge hurry though, so if you have any more ideas and would like to continue troubleshooting this for another couple of days just let me know...otherwise I'll probably re-do the install tomorrow evening.

Thanks,

- Acorp

Hm, it doesn't seem to find anything further:

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

- Acorp

OK, that must have been an older output of pveversion. This is what it tells me now:

# pveversion -v
running kernel: 2.6.32-14-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.1-74
pve-kernel-2.6.32-14-pve: 2.6.32-74
qemu-server: 2.0-49
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.1-8

Maybe I didn't reboot as many times as I thought!

Thanks,

- Acorp

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!