Proper network setup -- prevent host from using VM network?

tycoonbob

Aug 25, 2014
Hi everyone. I recently setup a new box acting as a ZFS storage box (10 x 5TB 7200RPM drives), plus a VM server (2 x 480GB SSD's). Everything has been great, and I will be setting up a similar box soon to do ZFS replication, and host additional VM's.

Anyway, this is the first time I've configured Proxmox to utilize more than one network. Basically, I have 8 NIC's. I want 4 of them to be used only for Proxmox management reasons, and for ZFS NAS traffic. 2 NIC's will be in LACP for VM (LAN) traffic, and the remaining 2 NIC's will be in LACP for VM (DMZ) traffic.

Currently, it's all setup and working, except that the 2 NIC's configured for LAN VM traffic, also has an IP set and resolves to the host. I don't want this. Basically, I want to set that bond to only serve up VM's, and not be accessible to the host. How can I do that?

Here is my current interfaces config:
Code:
root@mjolnir:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth4 inet manual

iface eth6 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

iface eth5 inet manual

iface eth7 inet manual

allow-vmbr0 bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
	ovs_bonds eth0 eth1 eth4 eth6
	ovs_type OVSBond
	ovs_bridge vmbr0
	ovs_options bond_mode=balance-slb

allow-vmbr1 bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
	ovs_bonds eth3 eth7
	ovs_type OVSBond
	ovs_bridge vmbr1

allow-vmbr2 bond2
iface bond2 inet manual
	ovs_bonds eth2 eth5
	ovs_type OVSBond
	ovs_bridge vmbr2

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
	address  172.16.1.200
	netmask  255.255.255.0
	gateway  172.16.1.254
	ovs_type OVSBridge
	ovs_ports bond0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
	address  172.16.1.201
	netmask  255.255.255.0
	ovs_type OVSBridge
	ovs_ports bond1

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
	address  172.16.2.202
	netmask  255.255.255.0
	ovs_type OVSBridge
	ovs_ports bond2

1) vmbr0/bond0 is for management and ZFS NAS traffic only. Can I prevent guest VM's from even seeing this as a possible NIC? If not, no big deal.

2) vmbr1/bond1 is for LAN VM traffic. How can I make it where the host doesn't respond to ZFS NAS, ssh, or proxmox web access?

3) vmbr2/bond2 is for DMZ VM traffic. Like #2, how can I make it only for VM traffic and the host not respond to it?

Thanks in advance!

Hello tycoonbob

Currently, it's all setup and working, except that the 2 NIC's configured for LAN VM traffic, also has an IP set and resolves to the host. I don't want this. Basically, I want to set that bond to only serve up VM's, and not be accessible to the host. How can I do that?

Here is my current interfaces config:
Code:
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
    address  172.16.1.201
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    ovs_type OVSBridge
    ovs_ports bond1

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
    address  172.16.2.202
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    ovs_type OVSBridge
    ovs_ports bond2

1) vmbr0/bond0 is for management and ZFS NAS traffic only. Can I prevent guest VM's from even seeing this as a possible NIC? If not, no big deal.

Delete vmbr0 and assign the IPs directly to bond0.

2) vmbr1/bond1 is for LAN VM traffic. How can I make it where the host doesn't respond to ZFS NAS, ssh, or proxmox web access?

3) vmbr2/bond2 is for DMZ VM traffic. Like #2, how can I make it only for VM traffic and the host not respond to it?

Simply leave vmbr1 and vmbr2 without IP address (make the changes in GUI and restart the host).

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Last edited:
Mr.Holmes,

Thank you for your answer. With my OVS Bridges, remove the IP/netmask seemed to do the trick. Hosts can still use those ports, as expected, but those bridges show up as inactive when adding a NIC to a guest. Functionally, this doesn't matter, but it threw me off at first.

Regarding the quad bond, I had it set up with a OVS bond, which requires using a OVS bridge and you can't assign an IP to a OVS bond. So I switched it over to a Linux bond, set it to balance-rr mode (my switch supports LAG, but not 802.3ad LACP -- Dell PowerConnect 2824), and it seems to be working as well. Like above, those 4 NIC's now show as not active, but they still work as expected.

I was hoping to not mix OVS with Linux bonding, but it seems to be what I need to do to set things the way I want.

So thanks!

Code:
root@mjolnir:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth4 inet manual

iface eth6 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

iface eth5 inet manual

iface eth7 inet manual

allow-vmbr1 bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
	ovs_bonds eth3 eth7
	ovs_type OVSBond
	ovs_bridge vmbr1

allow-vmbr2 bond2
iface bond2 inet manual
	ovs_bonds eth2 eth5
	ovs_type OVSBond
	ovs_bridge vmbr2

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
	address  172.16.1.200
	netmask  255.255.255.0
	gateway  172.16.1.254
	slaves eth0 eth1 eth4 eth6
	bond_miimon 100
	bond_mode balance-rr

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
	ovs_type OVSBridge
	ovs_ports bond1

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
	ovs_type OVSBridge
	ovs_ports bond2

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 11.36.42 AM.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!