promox on Intel Atom C3558 ?

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
How will behaves promox on an Intel Atom C3558 with 16GB of RAM. What should I expect?

Nothing special. Proxmox VE will not magically boost your low cost hardware to a high performance beast.

Nothing special. Proxmox VE will not magically boost your low cost hardware to a high performance beast.
I took it for its energy usage more than performance. My question was more about the limitation in term of virtualization. From what I read on the spec, everything should work as is on this CPU right?

I took it for its energy usage more than performance. My question was more about the limitation in term of virtualization. From what I read on the spec, everything should work as is on this CPU right?

Yes that CPU supports virtualization, so it will work. Just don't expect high performance from it, but if all you need is a low end box to run a VM or two from then yes it will do fine.

I replace the 20W, 8-core C2750 Atom board in my Freenas some time ago for a 4-core C3558 one, as I felt is was a bit overkill in my setup with CPU load barely reaching 20%. In fact, FreeNas is actually having a very similar CPU load on the newer C3558 board.

So with the spare C2750 board I've sinse been testing it with Proxmox and I'm now running NextCloud (VM), PiHole (VM), Roon Server (VM), UniFi Controller (container), Hassio (VM) and Plex (container, no transcoding) very smoothly with a CPU load average between 10 and 40 percent. Enough processing power, but then I also have 32GB of ECC RAM. Roon is particularly sensitive and I've had problems with it in the past, but is now completely free from dropouts.

Almost all the apps I'm running can run on a Raspberry Pi and does not require a lot of CPU grunt. Especially as they are seldom, if ever, active simultaneously. I guess it also helps having enough RAM.

My goal was also to create a power efficient home system and I've so far been very happy with both performance and power consumption.

Reactions: benoitc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!