Project: proxmox-host and freenas-guest with 4x3tb Riad5

I want a firewall-distri with webui, captive portal is not as interesting as ids/ips, linux instead of freebsd would be great. Debian would be perfect. Vyatta looks interesting, but if ids is not implemented in the community-version it is not an option. Devil Linux has no webui. So the matter of choice would be ipfire or endian.

What do you think?

@wetwilly: What are the advanced things Vyatta can handle and ipfire not?

@udo: My mobo/cpu-combination is capable to handle vt-x and vt-d which is needed to handle pci-passthrough. This was a must in the selection procedure for my hardware components.

Regards

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Well, Vyatta is more of an alternative to other large enterprise routing providers (Cisco, Juniper etc.). So if you have no need for BGP, OSPF (among many others) and plan to use it more@home then I'd go with ipfire. At least that's what I did ;) Although I would go with pfSense if it supported virtio drivers.

How much did you end up paying for the Areca ARC1231ML if you dont mind me asking?

Ok, I don't need ospf at home. So, I will have a look at ipfire, endian and astaro.

Astaro is capable of being used as a WLAN controller. There is special access point hardware (802.11n) with poe. Very nice, but I think it's to expensive for my home useness. I would like to have two APs with poe and a central Interface to control both. Where do I get all the money? ;)

@hovawart: Why did you stop using astaro?

Is there maybe a good open source WLAN controller? Read about "Open Mesh" with very cheap AP-Hardware (79$), but seemingly the controller-software is not available to download. It is an only online cloud service. Am I right? Or is there any other good open source wlan controller software?

@wetwilly: For the ARC-1231ML (inkl. BBU, 1GB RAM and shipment) I payed 217€.

Last edited:
@wetwilly: For the ARC-1231ML (inkl. BBU, 1GB RAM and shipment) I payed 217€.

That sounds like a reasonable price. I'm in need for a new controller for my homesetup, could you share the site that you bought it from? Do you plan to upgrade it to 2GB?

I bought the controller on eBay. The price for a new card of this type is between 500€ and 700€, says google at the first look.

I think the performance is more than enough for my homeserver. ;)

Regards

Hi hoppel118,

I want to realize such a project like yours and just wanted to know if it still all works for you.

FreeNAS? Do you use ZFS?
Which tv backend do you use with your tv card? I want to use tvheadend.

Best regards from Austria ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!