Problems with Proxmox VE 6.2 & EPYC 7252

vgee

Sep 9, 2020
Hi guys,

we are having problems with our new servers on which we are trying to run Proxmov VE 6.2.

Setup:

2 SuperMicro Servers with:
SuperMicro H11DSi Mainboard with BIOS Rev. 2.1 (from February)
AMD EPYC 7252
2x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 in zRAID-1
1x 6TB Seagate Skyhawk
OS was updated today and was installed on UEFI

Error:

1st:
EFI stub: ERROR: Failed to read file
Trying to laod files to higher address
EFI stub: ERROR: Failed to read file

2nd:
Error loading \EFI\proxmox\5.4.55-1-pve\vmlinuz-5.4.55-1-pve: Not found
Failed to execute Proxmox Virtual Enviroment (\EFI\proxmox\5.4.55-1-pve\vmlinuz-5.4.55-1-pve): Not Found

The system was set up and was running without errors. After a reboot these two errors kept coming and we couldn’t get the system to start. After like 10 reboots it booted back in and seemed to run normally. After rebooting it again the same errors were back. The two errors always keep looping for a while until the systems goes back to BIOS.

What we tried/checked so far:

• Reset BIOS to defaults
  • Try different cables (MiniSAS to SATA 0, 1 and 2)
  • Flash BIOS
  • Disconnect 1 SSD
  • Disconnect HDD
  • Switch Drives and cables between the servers
  • Switched the drives out for an installed Proxmox Backup-Server (which worked before) – we got the same errors at first but got it to work after a couple of tries
  • Checked UEFI shell and followed the filepath (file was there)

And finally moved all drives to a different server (ProLiant G7) where we had no problems at all

Any suggestions would be very welcome :)

Attachments

• photo_2020-09-09_16-13-58.jpg
    photo_2020-09-09_16-13-58.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 12
  • photo_2020-09-09_16-14-02.jpg
    photo_2020-09-09_16-14-02.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 10
You could try to BIOS boot the disks (Enter boot manager and select non UEFI boot).

Samsung EVO sounds horrible for me, they will die soon.

EDIT: I forgot if BIOS boot doesn't work you need to install grub on the disk on the Proliant machine

EVOs survived surprisingly long in one of my testservers (about a year) but one of my clients used them in a high load production system and both disks failed after 6 weeks nearly simultaneously.

You could try to BIOS boot the disks (Enter boot manager and select non UEFI boot).

EDIT: I forgot if BIOS boot doesn't work you need to install grub on the disk on the Proliant machine

We'll try that, thanks!

Edit:

i forgot mentioning that we also tried setting up a new promox on a single SSD and we got the same error.

It doesn't really look like a Proxmox issue for me. Seems to a Uefi problem of the server.I would try to run it without Uefi.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!