[SOLVED] Problems with Proxmox communication via pfSense WireGuard

BUSTER

Oct 31, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have the following setup: Proxmox on Hetzner, behind which runs a pfSense virtual router with a WireGuard VPN connection.

proxmox-root-server-architektur.png

My goal is for Proxmox server to be able to communicate with my Home Lab to create backups via WireGuard connection that stands as virtual pfSense router after Proxmox.

Unfortunately, the communication between Proxmox and my Home Lab does not work, although the connection between Home Lab and WireGuard VPN on the pfSense router exists.

I know Proxmox is out of pfSense but maybe it is possible with ad some routings in Proxmox ore Wireguard allowed IP Adresses, Network Interface? ore maybe i Must give pfSense other Network Ethernet device they Communicate with Proxmox? , not to forget, there is actually a connection between Proxmox and pfSense via 192.168.5.0/24 Network and they can ping each other.

I can Ping from Proxmox to pfSense with 192.168.5.0/24 Network, in pfSense runs WireGuard Plugin and pfSense can Ping my Home Lab via WireGuard, the virtual machines behind psSense can also ping my Home Lab

from my Home Lab 192.168.178.0/24 I can also reach Proxmox I can ping IP 10.0.0.1, I can also reach an SMB share that is in Proxmox from my Home Lab via 192.168.178.22 to 10.0.0.1, only the other way from Proxmox to Home Lab 192.168.178.22 around is not possible.

In proxmox I have some iptables and routings in the interface file that are necessary to run virtual machines with one public ip address with the pfSense router.

see my Interface

Code:
auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/27
        gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        post-up   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i enp3s0 -p tcp -m multiport ! --dport 22,8006 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.2
        post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i enp3s0 -p udp -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.2
        post-up route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.224 gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dev enp3s0
       # route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/27 via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 10.0.0.1/30
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.0.0.0/30' -o enp3s0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.0.0.0/30' -o enp3s0 -j MASQUERADE
        #Network from Proxmox to pfSense

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
        address 192.168.5.2/24
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.0.0.0/30' -o enp3s0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.0.0.0/30' -o enp3s0 -j MASQUERADE
        #network card for virtual machines after pfSense

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Can anyone help me configure this setup so that the Proxmox server can successfully communicate with my Home Lab?

EDIT: issue solved by ad secound Wireguard tunnel direkly installed on Proxmox host, they also connect to my Home Lab

I am grateful for any advice and guidance.
Many thanks in advance

BUSTER

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!