Problems with NIC bridge to Virtual Machines

xtropx

Dec 27, 2011
Hello.
Proxmox is awesome but I am having trouble getting NIC's to pass through to VM's I have created.
I have Proxmox set up like this:

Dpx6T.jpg

I have a Ubuntu machine with ETH1 = VMBR1 & ETH0 = VMBR2:

l5GVF.jpg

I am trying to pass through eth1 to DYNAMIPS (router emulation some of you may be familiar with)

I have in my net file:

[[ROUTER R1]]
model = 3745
autostart = false
wic0/0 = WIC-2T
f0/0 = NIO_linux_eth:eth1

This is supposed to allow a router to bridge to eth1 and communicate with the external network. However, it is not working even though doing a show CDP neighbor shows the switch that the Proxmox interfaces are attached to. This is driving me crazy. I have tried changing almost every variable. Does anybody have any ideas?

Hi, I have similar issue with Dynamips connection. I have a dedicated Eth interface on my host that is connected to a Cisco switch (a trunk connection, QinQ to be more precise). I want to bridge all the traffic that comes via this link to a VM where Dynamips is running - I need to bridge VLAN tagged packets in both directions between physical interface on host and "physical" interface on the VM. I was able to successfully ping the switch directly from the VM, but I can only achieve one-way connection between Dynamips and Switch.
If I used OpenVZ VM, I could see CDP packets from the switch on Dynamips router, but not vice versa.
If I use KVM with Virtio ethernet interfaces, I see CDP packets from Dynamips router on the switch, but not the other direction.
I use Debian and Ubuntu as guest OS.

I used this setup on non-virtualized server and it worked flawlessly...

All the advices I have found describe how to connect VLAN tagged trunk to external network and then "divide" the particular VLANs to guests, but I need to let guest receive and send traffic with all the tags without Proxmox interfering with it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!