Problems using encrypted zfs Storage

marcelprox

Dec 7, 2019
Hello together,

I've a Dell T30 and i would like to use two mirrored 1TB ssd-drives for my data and vm's. Because i would like to encrypt my data i'm trying to use an encrypted ZFS Setup. I tought everything works great, but after a reboot of my proxmox host i'm not able to startup my vm's again. For now i don't have any productive data or vm's because i'm (happily) just playing around, but i would like to use this as a prod system after everything runs smoothly.
This are the steps i thought would setup all i need:
  • zpool create ssdRaidPool mirror /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
  • zpool set feature@encryption=enabled ssdRaidPool
  • zfs create -o encryption=on -o keyformat=passphrase ssdRaidPool/encryptedSsd
  • pvesm add zfspool encryptedSsdStorage -pool ssdRaidPool/encryptedSsd

After that i ensure enrcyption works and type:
  • zfs load-key ssdRaidPool/encryptedSsd
I've got the message "Key load error: Key already loaded for 'ssdRaidPool/encryptedSsd'. Everything fines, i'm able to create new vm's and lxc container - no problem, everything works well.

BUT: After a reboot i'm unable to start my vm's and containers... Right after rebooting proxmox i decrypt my storage like above (zfs load-key ssdRaidPool/encryptedSsd) and try to start my machines, but the error is always:

"Job for pve-container@100.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status pve-container@100.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
TASK ERROR: command 'systemctl start pve-container@100' failed: exit code 1
"

systemctl status pve-container@100.service gives me:
pve-container@100.service - PVE LXC Container: 100
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-container@.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2020-01-08 21:01:46 CET; 13min ago
Docs: man:lxc-start
man:lxc
man:pct
Process: 7870 ExecStart=/usr/bin/lxc-start -n 100 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 08 21:01:46 pve systemd[1]: Starting PVE LXC Container: 100...
Jan 08 21:01:46 pve lxc-start[7870]: lxc-start: 100: lxccontainer.c: wait_on_daemonized_start: 865 No such file or directory - Failed to receive the container state
Jan 08 21:01:46 pve lxc-start[7870]: lxc-start: 100: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 329 The container failed to start
Jan 08 21:01:46 pve lxc-start[7870]: lxc-start: 100: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 332 To get more details, run the container in foreground mode
Jan 08 21:01:46 pve lxc-start[7870]: lxc-start: 100: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 335 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options
Jan 08 21:01:46 pve systemd[1]: pve-container@100.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 08 21:01:46 pve systemd[1]: pve-container@100.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 08 21:01:46 pve systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE LXC Container: 100.

Nothing useful i can find with journalctl -xe

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here :/?

Thanks in regard!

Hi,

the problem is that the datasets are not mounted.
I guess after loading the key a restart of
systemctl status zfs-mount.service
should be enough.

Reactions: marcelprox
Unfortunately not :/.
After systemctl status zfs-mount.service i get the following output:
● zfs-mount.service - Mount ZFS filesystems
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/zfs-mount.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Thu 2020-01-09 18:54:04 CET; 25s ago
Docs: man:zfs(8)
Process: 936 ExecStart=/sbin/zfs mount -a (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 936 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 09 18:54:04 pve systemd[1]: Starting Mount ZFS filesystems...
Jan 09 18:54:04 pve systemd[1]: Started Mount ZFS filesystems.
root@pve:~#

If i try systemctl stop zfs-mount-service and after that systemctl start zfs-mount.service i get the status:

root@pve:~# systemctl start zfs-mount.service
Job for zfs-mount.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status zfs-mount.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
root@pve:~# systemctl status zfs-mount.service
● zfs-mount.service - Mount ZFS filesystems
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/zfs-mount.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-01-09 18:57:39 CET; 4s ago
Docs: man:zfs(8)
Process: 2054 ExecStart=/sbin/zfs mount -a (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 2054 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 09 18:57:38 pve systemd[1]: Starting Mount ZFS filesystems...
Jan 09 18:57:39 pve zfs[2054]: cannot mount '/ssdRaidPool/encryptedSpace': directory is not empty
Jan 09 18:57:39 pve systemd[1]: zfs-mount.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 09 18:57:39 pve systemd[1]: zfs-mount.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 09 18:57:39 pve systemd[1]: Failed to start Mount ZFS filesystems.

Ok, wrong lead :D...
Hasn't anything to do with zfs encryption!
Actualy i found this thread because i had problems with a second proxmox installation where (unencrypted) Containers also didn't boot up after a reboot..
So, in short, the workaround in this thread (remove dirs in subvols, unmoun & mount, startup containers) is working !

No Problems with encryptedZFS Volumes at all.

Thank you neverless!

Reactions: guletz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!