problems reaching ubuntu server running as CT using venet

maeries

Jul 10, 2015
Hi,

my configuration: The PC hat 3 ethernet devices. eth0 is bridged to vmbr0; eth1 and 2 are bridged to vmbr1.
pfSense is running as a VM using vmbr0 as WAN and vmbr1 as LAN interface.
Ubuntu server runs as a CT with venet using the ip 192.168.11.3

With this setup I'm running into multiple problems.
  • When I scan the network using fing on my phone, it does not find 192.168.11.3. On the other hand nmap on my linux machine does.
  • I cannot connect to the samba server running on ubuntu using Windows. It keeps telling me, that the username/password is wrong. Same goes for andsmb on android, even though it works with ghost commander on android or nautilus on linux.

I guess using a veth instead of venet would help, but I have no idea how to set it up.

anyone? I'm pretty sure using veth is the solution, but when I add a veth connection using the proxmox webinterface, it does not appear in ifconfig on the ubuntu server.

For each veth device you create with the GUI, you shoud see an eth device in the container.
Did you run "ifconfig -a " ? ifconfig wihtout the -a switch only show the devices which are already created

Damn, you're right. I could have thought of that myself. And after that I can activate the device using ifconfig eth0 <ip.address> up

Note that in the forthcoming PVE 4 version ( which uses LXC instead of openvz for containers) you will be able to directly configure the container network setting from the pve host.
This will help in these situations.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!