Problems cloning VMs.

FerryCliment

Apr 1, 2020
Hello. First time posting here (And sorry for my english when posting like this i'm aware is noticeable thats not my first language).

I been using Proxmox for quite some time in my "homelab"

I'm using Proxmox in a small (modest) NUC mostly to mess with some CentOS machines with few diferent labs and few services that i would like to play with.

After quite some time , my boss (I work as HelpDesk/SysAdmin Jr) allowed me to build proxmox in a server hardware that was left without use after the server restructuration we did at the end of last year.

Everything runs more or less fine except the VM cloning , after testing few things trying to find where it breaks I came up with the conclusion that has to be some sort of problem between the raid controler this HP Proliant Dl380p G8 has

I will attach some of the files that explain some of the things i've noticed when trying to find the issue and/or solution to this problem.

It creates the disk when cloning the new VM , and starts to fill it with some information but it hangs apparently forever , sometimes at 7% others at 16% but never ends up working , and eventually it times out leaving the disk created. Additionally the IO delay spikes over the charts , leaving everything inside the proxmox unusable , we have mediawiki running in there and during the IO spike it loses the service , and when eventually ~30min aprox the Io delay relaxes the service somes back up without forcing anything.

(I'm attaching the http error , aswell some of the CPU charts that explain when and how big the io delay spike produces from the VM cloning comes) aswell the running machines recvice the error in their bash console (Shown aswell in the imgur album) i was trying to find some of the problems that show in the proxmox.

Eventually when trying to clone it shows

"TASK ERROR: clone failed: command '/sbin/lvs --separator : --noheadings --units b --unbuffered --nosuffix --options lv_size /dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0' failed: got timeout"

Which there are some information but i'm fairly sure its more a end-point message that shows the timeout after god knows how long it takes to the system to give up with the problem.

I have a imgur link with all the information , aswell some of the answers of the staff petition in other similar posts in case those might be neded.

https://imgur.com/a/ZR9M8S7

Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!