Problem with ZFS encryption

Aug 4, 2020
I have a problem with the encryption function of ZFS:
I followed the wiki tutorial:
zfs create -o encryption=on -o keyformat=passphrase tank/encrypted_data
pvesm add zfspool encrypted_zfs -pool tank/encrypted_data

After a reboot of the pve I can see the filelist (ls tank/encrypted_data) and even the files (nano ...) inside the "encrypted" pool WITHOUT having entered the key.
What am I doing wrong?

Hi,
is the dataset mounted (zfs get mounted tank/encrypted_data)? If not, move the files below the mount point path somewhere else and use
Code:
zfs load-key tank/encrypted_data
zfs mount tank/encrypted_data

That actually "solved" my problem - thanks very much!!!
Perhaps this could be added to the wiki - at least for newbies like me:)

Please mark the thread as solved by adding the SOLVED prefix to the title.

That actually "solved" my problem - thanks very much!!!
Perhaps this could be added to the wiki - at least for newbies like me:)
You are right, we should mention that the dataset needs to be mounted as well. One might wrongly assume that zfs load-key does that. zfs mount -l is the better command here. I sent a patch.

Under solaris 11, a "zfs import x/y" would also load the key and request for the password. That would be even better behavior for the linux version of zfs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!