Problem with VirtIO in Windows Server 2012 r2 installation

Godoy

Sep 23, 2022
Hello, I am having difficulties installing the VirtIO drivers when I try to install Windows Server 2012 r2, I always get the message "no signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and the click OK ".
I followed the steps of both the official proxmox guide and in several forum posts, I tried everything and I still can't get it to work.
surely it will be some very absurd mistake or I don't know, seriously if someone would know what I could try I would appreciate it.

Windows Server 2012 r2 x64
VirtIO 1.221
SCSI Controller: VirtIO SCSI
Qemu Agent: Enabled
Memory: 4gb
Processors: 2 (1 socket, 2 cores)
Hard disk: 64gb - cache: writeback - discard: enable
Network: VirtIO(paravirtualized)

Note: Qemu Agent is disabled because then it does not allow the VM to be stoped or Shutdown

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.png
    2.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 62
Hi Moayad, I don't think that is the problem (I saw that in forums they use the last version and it works perfectly), but could I try, do I try with any version or do I try a specific version?

The windows install is very picky on the location of drivers.
You can't just set e:\ as driver location, you'll have to define the full path like e:\virtiostor\server2012\amd64\ (or something like that).

I tried again to install with version 1.217 of VirtIO, the problem when searching for the drivers persists, I have tried folder by folder and always the same error... but if I let it scan, instead of searching manually by folder, it finds these drivers (photo ).
If I install these drivers will it work the same way? And which one would help me to correctly install Windows Server 2012 r2? since it does not appear as an option

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 82
I ran into similar odd issues but can confirm no issues using the Virtio-win-0.1.215 version of the ISO
Only weird thing to note is even after running the installer on the ISO, I had to manually install the correct SPICE driver (if in use) from device manager.

Reactions: ITT
Hi, so with this version you said the WS2012r2 drivers appear? if so, I will try again.
I don't know if the use of the SPICE driver is essential for the VM to work correctly, what would be the effect of not installing it?
I ran into similar odd issues but can confirm no issues using the Virtio-win-0.1.215 version of the ISO
Only weird thing to note is even after running the installer on the ISO, I had to manually install the correct SPICE driver (if in use) from device manager.

Hi, so with this version you said the WS2012r2 drivers appear? if so, I will try again.
I don't know if the use of the SPICE driver is essential for the VM to work correctly, what would be the effect of not installing it?
Correct, the auto-loading of the CD drivers was detecting normally during install for the disk drivers. The SPICE driver is only needed if you use the SPICE access from proxmox GUI for a smoother console experience, for RDP/other remote access tools I don't believe it's needed.

Reactions: Godoy
Thank you @bleglord

Under Windows 8.1 Virtio-win-0.1.215 work also (in the install process of the OS)
working.png

I tried the virtio-win-0.1.221 before but they gave
no signed device drivers error

Cheers,

Here to report v0.1.225-2 is still broken. v0.1.215-2 /viostor/2k12R2/amd64 worked for me as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!