[SOLVED] Problem with USB HDD on windows guest

rumble06

Jul 12, 2019
I installed every driver that had an exclamation inside Device Manager from the virtio iso, except the GPU driver which I got it from the vendor website. My USB Devices (mouse and keyboard) works great, however when I plug in an USB 3 external USB hdd the windows just doesn't recognize it. Nothing inside Device Manager, nothing inside Disk Manager, even tho the port is assigned to the vm (even tried with the id of the hdd instead of the port, still not working). I have an USB 3.0 16gb stick laying around, tried to plug that in, this one is at least recognized somehow, however inside Device Manager it appers as "Unknown USB Device (Port reset failed)" with errorcode: "
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A USB port reset request failed."

Earlier, with same USB stick there was a different error, however the code was still 43.

Edit: It seems that error is back: "Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor)"

Edit2: Still haven't got this to work with the default USB Passthrough, however I will mark this as solved because the USB hdd and stick works fine if you passthrough the entire USB controller of the motherboard (or you may passthrough just one of the ones you have if you have multiple usb controllers on your motherboard) using PCIe passthrough.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!