Problem when trying to restore from a backup

xavier.cm

May 22, 2013
Hi,

I've a strange problem when trying to restore a CT from a backup.

I made backup of my containers using Proxmox 3.4 ("suspend" mode / "gz" compression) and i store them on a NAS.

A made a test with a very simple and minimalist CT (fresh installation of Linux Debian 8 with Apache). All work fine with this CT. I made a backup, destroy it and restore it from the backup (with the same CTid)

Just after i try to access to the default Apache page and i get an "Forbidden Error". A quick look into to Apache error logfile show this message :

"[Wed Oct 28 16:42:53.180464 2015] [core:error] [pid 241] (13)Permission denied: [client aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:56441] AH00035: access to / denied (filesystem path '/var') because search permissions are missing on a component of the path"

It is as if the restoration process had damaged the Linux rights system ...

This is not the first time I see this kind of problem when restoring a container.

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help !

/Xavier

Hi Dietmar,

Do you have some idea about this problem ?

Could i take a look somewhere ? I could reproduce this problem at any time (on 2 differents Proxmox server)

Thanks.

/Xavier

I could reproduce this problem at any time (on 2 differents Proxmox server)

Can you provide access to such backup, so that we can test here? You need to remove all private data for that
container backup, and describe step by step how to reproduce the problem.

Hi Dietmar,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes of course i can.

I've just prepared a new CT for the tests.

Can i contact you privately to give you informations (IP of the CT, passwd ...) ?

/Xavier

I've just prepared a new CT for the tests.

I just tested with your backup file vzdump-openvz-20142-2015_11_03-06_39_29.tar.gz.

I simply restored the file, then added a network interface with static IP. Everything (apache2) works as expected.

Hi Dietmar,

Thanks a lot for the test. It's really strange because if i do the same i got a broken Apache (unable to access to the default page for example) ... It's like a have a problem with the restore module ...

I'll make a try (restore the same backup as you) on a fresh new installation of Promox.

Thanks again for your help.

/Xavier

Hi Dietmar,

Thanks again for your answer and excuse me for the late follow.

I've installed a new server on Proxmox 4 and try to restore the CT on it (after automatix LXC conversion). All seem to work fine now.

That does not matter if it don't work with Proxmox 3 because i'll upgrade all to v4.

Bests,

/Xavier

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!