Problem on incremental backup on PBS

AntInf

Dec 19, 2017
Good morning. I have a strange situation on a pve where only a Windows Server 2016 Vm with a 500GB SSD drive runs. The space occupied is always the same or about 340GB. About 95GB of new data is copied every day when backing up to an incremental PBS even though the disk size hasn't changed at all. I am attaching some screens. I wanted to ask if it is possible somehow to understand what kind of data it is in order to intervene. Thank you very much for helping

Attachments

• 07102022.PNG
    07102022.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 08102022.PNG
    08102022.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 11
PVE uses KVMs dirty-bitmapping to monitor what blocks got changed since the last backup. Not sure if its the same like the chunk size (which is always 4MB before compression) or smaller. Here it is enough if a single 512 byte block changed, then the whole 4MB chunk needs to be uploaded. So 95GB of new chunks doesn't mean the guest OS really got 95GB of changed data and alot of small changes can amplifiy a lot.

Last edited:
I continued to analyze the backups and unfortunately I always find these 95gb of data that must be copied, do you think I can not correct in any way? Do you think it may be due to the fact that the guest hosts a postgres db that clearly writes all the time? (certainly not 95GB, but probably a few megs)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!