Problem migrating from Proxmox 3.X with OpenVZ to Proxmox 4.X with LXC

mrbrown997

Jul 16, 2013
Hello,

first of all, i think i was searching now the whole google-imperium including the proxmox-forum, but even with some useful posts, i couldn't solve this problem (maybe also because of my limited knowledge of networking configs) .

Ive got a server running proxmox 3.x with a bunch of openvz-containers. Since i now need to migrate to a new server, i wanted to update the whole system in advance, to be up to date. This made some troubles since the new proxmox does not support OpenVZ anymore and in my old configuration im using VENET to provide public ips to my containers. Since LXC does not support VENET, i now need another solution for this.

My old configuration looks as followed:

Code:
                    |S|
                    |H|
                    |O|
       |---IP1------|R|-------(venet)--------External IP1------CT1
INET---|---IP2------|E|-------(venet)--------External IP2------CT2
       |---IP3------|W|-------(nat)--------|
                    |A|                    |--- Internal IP2 --CT5
                    |L|                    |--- Internal IP1 --CT4
                    |L|

So in my interfaces file of my proxmox host i only have a eth0 and a vmbr0 (not linked to eth0). This configuration works perfectly. 2 CTs now get a separate public IP and the others are assigned by a internal IP and reachable via special ports via shorewall. IP3 is also the main IP for the host-server and assigned to eth0. Thus the proxmox-interface is reachable via this ip.

Now the problem is, that LXC does not support venet. My question now is, how can I achieve the same setup like my old server, with LXC and Proxmox 4.x on my new server?

I would appreciate any help on this.

Greetings MrBrown

Hi MrBrown
If your proxmox and the container IP adress are in the same subnet, you can just add the IP address to the container when creating it, using the default bridge mode. In that case the routing itself will be done by the ISP.
BTW nice schema !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!