Problem: kvm starting got signal 11

BobDschingis

Jun 19, 2015
Hello community,

after the last update to:
Kernel Version Linux 4.4.40-1-pve
#1 SMP PVE 4.4.40-82

i got a wired behaviour.
First i have to say, that after the last reboot the root filesystem had some errors and proxmox didn't start.
On initramfs command line i did: fsck /dev/mapper/pve-root -y

After that, the system start booting normal with newest kernel version above.
But no kvm virtual machine was starting. I got the message, that kvm module could not get loaded:
command 'kvm -version' failed: got signal 11
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 101 ...' failed: got signal 11

So i did a modprobe kvm and it results in the same error.
After that i tried to boot with a older kernel. In that case it was:
Kernel Version Linux 4.4.19-1-pve
#1 SMP PVE 4.4.19-66

I used this kernel, because it was the last one the system works with. I do not reboot after every kernel update. That's too much. I just got one node with any HA options.

With this Kernel, system boots normal and the VMs started - but immediatly. That was wired because i set an order and wait time for those. And i've got the same error message for starting the VMs, for example:
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 101 ...' failed: got signal 11

Ok that's not so bad - VMs are working, so i reinstall the latest kernel, just in case that something gets damaged with this filesystem errors.
Today i got some time and i tried reboot with the new kernel. VMs can get started now with this kernel, but the same error message appears. I reset the order and wait time to defaults i reboot again. The VMs started but still with this error message.
Any idea what could happen there?

thanks in advance

10 years ago,proxmox is easy to use and very stable,I was loving it.But now,I get more trouble with the new version,I am outdated?

signal 11 means segmentation fault, check your ram/other hardware, reinstall the relevant packages (kernel, qemu)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!