Problem installing proxmox on my server (keyboard and mouse do not appear)

sawzito

Feb 20, 2020
Could you help me, I have a problem installing the proxmox on my server (server machine), at the moment where I must accept the user license, both the keyboard and the mouse do not work, or better they even work but neither the pointer appears of the mouse and the keyboard the TAB and ENTER keys do not work to continue the installation. Can anybody help me?

What hardware is this? We have some reports with issues with certain IPMI/iKVM implementations which are using matrox based graphic adapters. Older ISO release may work here.

Hadware: Dell poweredge T320,

would you recommend another version of proxmox? which would be? please if you can leave the download link i would appreciate it very much.

I re-synced the 6.0 ISO again to http://download.proxmox.com/iso/ you could try that, if it is the issue with MGA it should work there (the matrox thing is probably a kernel issue and 6.0 ships the 5.0 Linux Kernel while PVE 6.1 ships the 5.3 one).

You can then upgrade to latest Proxmox VE 6.x after installation.

This version 6.0.1, can I create a bootable installation through my USB device (pendrive)?

would i use the rufus software, or do you recommend creating a rw dvd?

@t.lamprecht I am also having this issue with 6.1. Once at the license screen the mouse disappears and the keyboard can only cannot tab to any buttons. Others have also reported the same thing in multiple threads.

Same issue with HP Proliant ML350 Gen 10 and version 6.1

Last edited:
I'll try 6.0 as well.

Something I found is that if you don't try the mouse, the keyboard works fine. Once you do anything with the mouse the keyboard also stops working.

OK, thanks fpr confirming that. As both 6.0 and 6.1 ISOs are build in a very similar way it seems that the different kernel versions (5.0 and 5.3) are the issue..
While I investigate quite a bit in what the regressions cause could be I did not found anything yet :(
We got a new kernel only recently, bases on upstream kernel version 5.4 (the one Ubuntu Focal Fossa will be using). I'll try to rebuild a test ISO with that one this week - so you could test that too.

Reactions: sawzito
Reactions: CCWTech
If this works can we leave it on or will we have to wipe and load for any reason and put an official fixed ISO on the server?

If this works can we leave it on or will we have to wipe and load for any reason and put an official fixed ISO on the server?

No, that's a situation I cannot imagine to happen. This is a "normal" ISO, all of the packages it contains are released in our public package repositories - if there would be a bug in them you can just upgrade as normal.

New (test) version worked fine for me.

Thanks for your feedback!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!