Problem installing new SSD storage

mn124700

Feb 22, 2020
I am having a problem getting PVE to recognize my new SSD storage device. I've installed a Samsung SSD and have formatted it as EXT4 (single partition, GPT). In PVE, I can go to the tab for my server and the new SSD shows up under "Disks" as expected. Now, I want to use the new SSD to store VMs and to migrate a few old VMs from other storage.

How do I get PVE to recognize the new SSD as a local storage device for my VMs? It does not currently show up in the main server view as storage (with the little disk-stack icon).

Thanks for any help,
Eric

You have to add it under Datacenter->Storage.
If you want to store VM images on that disk, yoiu should consider a thin lvm pool over ext4, though.

Reactions: mn124700
I am having a problem getting PVE to recognize my new SSD storage device. I've installed a Samsung SSD and have formatted it as EXT4 (single partition, GPT). In PVE, I can go to the tab for my server and the new SSD shows up under "Disks" as expected. Now, I want to use the new SSD to store VMs and to migrate a few old VMs from other storage.

How do I get PVE to recognize the new SSD as a local storage device for my VMs? It does not currently show up in the main server view as storage (with the little disk-stack icon).

Thanks for any help,
Eric

I have followed up that procedure here: https://nubcakes.net/index.php/2019/03/05/how-to-add-storage-to-proxmox/#Step 3.
On my case that was for storing backup files on external drive, but in essence approach is the same if you are happy with using a directory instead of lvmpool over ext 4.

Otherwise, there is a good tutorial on you tube for such lvmpool creation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isV9QeM53J8

STEP 1: mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb : format to ext4 fdisk /dev/sdb type g to change to GPT Patition Label then press w to save change
STEP 2: cfdisk /dev/sdb to creat partition (in my case 2T HDD) creat 4 partions with large of 400gb (sdb1-sdb4) and 1 partion 200gb (sdb5) to store DATA (choose filesystem is Linux LVM)
STEP 3: format sdb5 mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb5 (partion 200gb for OS image or files upload via winscp) mkdir /backupvms (creat folder to mount to sdb5) mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb5 /backupvms (execute this command when you reboot server) reboot
STEP 4: (creat partion volume sdb1 - physic volume ) pvcreate --metadatasize 250k -y -ff /dev/sdb1 pvcreate --metadatasize 250k -y -ff /dev/sdb2 same command with sdb3 and sdb4
STEP 5: vgcreate vmg1data /dev/sdb1 ( creat volume group for sdb1) same command with vmg2data /dev/sdb2 .... to vmg4data /dev/sdb4
STEP 6: (replace 960G to value that you want to creat logic volume) lvcreate -L 960G -n g1-data vmg1data ........ lvcreate -L 960G -n g4-data vmg4data
STEP 7: lvconvert --type thin-pool vmg1data/g1-data ( ... vmg4data/g4-data)

or this page: https://www.kenmoini.com/blog/quick-n-dirty-adding-disks-to-proxmox/

Last edited:
Reactions: mn124700

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!