[SOLVED] Problem after snapshot delete of VM

kaddenik

May 28, 2024
Hello!
I have a very strange problem and don't know what I have to do now.
Today i deleted snapshot with --force option from one of my VM that has attached 4TB .qcow2 disk.
This snapshot is probably very old cause i totally forgot about this.
After the snapshot is deleted my VM shows around 100% CPU utilization (99,6-99,99%) and is totally not responsible - i can't log in through console, hypervisor also shows increased CPU utilization.
How long i have to wait (now its 5 hours) for VM to be responsible? How i can check the progress of snapshot consolidation (i think this is the cause of inaccessibility)?
Is it safe to reboot hypervisor now or my .qcow2 disk may be damaged?
Thanks for your help! :)
P. S.
I am using Hardware Raid and its mounted as a Directory with ext4 file system.

I do fear that your VM will be corrupted when you interrupt this process. But if you have a backup then maybe killing it and restoring from backup might allow you to do this with the VM stopped, which might (or might not) go faster.

@leesteken can i check state of this process? Actually I see that CPU is working on 100%, but disk I/O looks like it does nothing for this 4 hours.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!