[SOLVED] Problem activation License Windows

Drthrax74

Apr 22, 2019
Hello,

When I create a Windows 10 VM (1909), I can't activate my authentic Windows 10 Retail license. (Never used)

When installing Windows 10, I type my key.

Code:
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: dc
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 4
efidisk0: DISQUE:104/vm-104-disk-0.qcow2,size=128K
machine: q35
memory: 1024
name: WIN10PRO
net0: e1000=1E:F8:86:45:6B:9F,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win10
sata0: DISQUE:104/vm-104-disk-1.qcow2,cache=writethrough,size=32G
sata1: DISQUE:104/vm-104-disk-2.qcow2,cache=writeback,size=5G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=f1256103-6489-4756-a8f8-f57c8da834da
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 5c27a3da-732f-4944-95e5-b5129b9b6248

Hi,

Proxmox VE has not MS Windows Keyserver integrated.
You have to ask the Reseller where you buy the license key or Microsoft directly.

I know this is old, but I came across it today and I am curious what [SOLVED] the problem?

I have been doing Proxmox for a few years and I have yet have any Windows VM activate on it's own. I always have to use the telephone method to activate. I have even tried doing the UUID mimic on the same machine after installing Windows bare metal and activating it and then porting that UUID into the VM with the Windows installed the same way (BIOS/UEFI) and it never self activates.

But this answer from wolfgang confuses me. Is wolfgang trying to say the Proxmox does not do activation of Windows products or restrict the Windows activation in any way? And is he tellnig the customer that they have to get with the people they got their Windows activation key from? It almost seems as if the "answer" to this is "It is not a Proxmox problem." and marked as Solved because of that.

But this answer from wolfgang confuses me. Is wolfgang trying to say the Proxmox does not do activation of Windows products or restrict the Windows activation in any way? And is he tellnig the customer that they have to get with the people they got their Windows activation key from? It almost seems as if the "answer" to this is "It is not a Proxmox problem." and marked as Solved because of that.
Yes, it's the guest's problem. PVE does not interfere with anything.

Keep in mind that just poping in your license / activation key does not mean that you are allowed to run Windows 10 in a virtualized environment. You probably need further licensing (e.g. VDA and SA).

Yes, it's the guest's problem. PVE does not interfere with anything.

Keep in mind that just poping in your license / activation key does not mean that you are allowed to run Windows 10 in a virtualized environment. You probably need further licensing (e.g. VDA and SA).
This is something that is never really talked about in all of the massive amounts of videos circulating where people walk you through installing Windows on Proxmox and then talk about how great it is. There are some that talk about the UUID mirror and everything just working to include the activation. Sucks having so much conflicting information out there.

This is something that is never really talked about in all of the massive amounts of videos circulating where people walk you through installing Windows on Proxmox and then talk about how great it is. There are some that talk about the UUID mirror and everything just working to include the activation. Sucks having so much conflicting information out there.
It's not a PVE related question, but virtualization in general. No one cares about licensing, because it's not a technical problem and this is a technical forum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!