Private IP server for just Quorum?

dimitriz

Mar 5, 2021
Hi,
This is just my learning and testing playground. HA is not needed... just basic testing VMs.

I have 2 servers already in a Cluster with public IPs. They work without any problems.
Just ran into an issue when upgrading one of these it came offline and I couldn't do much because I had no 3rd server for Quorum.
I have a Vmware server at home and was going to install a basic Proxmox server to join the Cluster ONLY for Quorum.
Problem is that it has a local IP and tries joining the Cluster with it.

I searched for a guide to link it with my public IP but can't seem to find one.
Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: dimitriz
Hi,

Why not use a quorum device? that is a simpler way to get a third vote via a daemon running on a basic Linux VM (I'd recommend Debian), see: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#_corosync_external_vote_support
Ok, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

"independent server" that has to be just a basic VPS type? so cant be installed on the nodes and I would assume needs a Public IP? or can spin up a regular Ubuntu and use port forwarding in the firewall?

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!