Power Consumption passed through GPU when VM is Off

toomanylogins

Mar 23, 2021
I have passed through a graphics card for virtual machine I use rarely. Mainly for for testing so it's generally off. However I have noticed the graphic card heatsink is warm so using a bit of power. Is there any way this can be disabled ?
Thanks
Paul

i don't think there is a direct way. normally the devices power state is managed by e.g. the driver
(you can check the acpi power state in /sys/bus/pci/devices/<address>/power_state)
so if no driver is loaded, there'll be nobody responsible for putting the device in a low power state
(you could try to load a driver on the host when the vm is off though)

i have two graphics cards installed. both are passed through. the first is connected to a monitor and is used as the main computer. the second is used for game streaming via moonlight.
as soon as i shut down my main vm, my graphics card does not shut down, instead the fans speed up.

how can i prevent this?

Last edited:
i have two graphics cards installed. both are passed through. the first is connected to a monitor and is used as the main computer. the second is used for game streaming via moonlight.
as soon as i shut down my main vm, my graphics card does not shut down, instead the fans speed up.

how can i prevent this?
Did you notice this post?
so if no driver is loaded, there'll be nobody responsible for putting the device in a low power state
(you could try to load a driver on the host when the vm is off though)
This can be done by unbinding the vfio-pci driver and binding the Linux device driver (like amdgpu or nouveau) for your GPU.
Or don't shutdown the VM and let it idle and keep the GPU in low power state.
EDIT: Or create a small VM (with the GPU drivers installer) that does nothing and start that VM to keep the GPU in low power state.

Last edited:
It don't have this problem on my PVE, I have GTX 1060 graphics card passed through for windows10 virtual machine, when I shutdown or hibernate virtual machine, the graphics card keeping quiet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!