postfix mail server in VPS and PMG self hosted in a vm: connection refused

rivarob

Jul 6, 2023
Good afternoon all,

I have set up a Modoboa mail server in a VPS on Kamatera and set up vm for Proxmox mail gateway on my local server.

I thought I had everything configured correctly but I'm getting an error in mail.log when sending out from my domain---- connection refused.

I have port 25 & 587 forwarded on my router to pmg.

For relay domain, I have selected the public IP of the VPS

I have entered my domain under relay domains and added in the public IP of the vps mail server under host

In postfix, I have added to /etc/postfix/main.cf relayhost = pmg.domain.com:587

Im not sure where its blocking my connection.

Please let me know if you require any additional information.

------------
update; now i am able to send [pmg-address]:26 but i cant get port 578 working

Last edited:
PMG does not use port 587 in it's default configuration - as 587 (submission) usually is deployed with SMTP-AUTH which is something PMG does not use. submission is usually used by end-users to submit mail - and PMG is meant to be a proxy between the internet an your mail-server (where no SMTP-AUTH is used)

I hope this explains it!

PMG does not use port 587 in it's default configuration - as 587 (submission) usually is deployed with SMTP-AUTH which is something PMG does not use. submission is usually used by end-users to submit mail - and PMG is meant to be a proxy between the internet an your mail-server (where no SMTP-AUTH is used)

I hope this explains it!
Oh okay! Thank you!

I am now receiving a new error: Relay access denied when using port 25.

How do I go about granting access? Please lelt me know what additional info you need plelase adn thank you
1688735790273.png

1688735814909.png

1688735863043.png
1688735907152.png

1688735929353.png

Last edited:
I am now receiving a new error: Relay access denied when using port 25.
you need to use the internal port if you want to send mails from trusted networks to the internet
(try port 26 instead of port 25...)

Okay, so I tried port 26 and received this error: 1688739249576.png

EDIT** I restored from backups and reverted from 8 to 7.3-3 and all is working. Thank you!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!