Postfix mail logs

TWD

Sep 21, 2022
Hello,

How can I access the mail logs, which commands will work for me.

Thanks.

The log file should be located in /var/log/mail.log

Hello Permission denied, i am facing the problem
You can only read this file as a root user so sudo less /var/log/mail.log should work

Last edited:
So what do I need to do to make it work, with which command can I run it?
You can simply output the file contents with cat /var/log/mail.log. Easier for reading would be less /var/log/mail.log

less /var/log/mail.log and use the keyboard to move through the log. (I think sudo is not installed by default, but you don't need it when using root.)
Actually, the problem is exactly that the backup notifications that verify are not coming. Actually, I did all the settings correctly, but if I look at the postfix logs of a friend of mine, there might be something wrong. Can you help with this issue?

You can simply output the file contents with cat /var/log/mail.log. Easier for reading would be less /var/log/mail.log
Actually, the problem is exactly that the backup notifications that verify are not coming. Actually, I did all the settings correctly, but if I look at the postfix logs of a friend of mine, there might be something wrong. Can you help with this issue?

What are you trying to do? You want to get an email notification after verification? Are you using a Verifiy Job or are you verifying manually?

What are you trying to do? You want to get an email notification after verification? Are you using a Verifiy Job or are you verifying manually?
After making a backup, I want to receive a confirmation e-mail stating that the backup has been made, it used to be, but it does not come anymore. It should come, but it doesn't, so I wanted to look at the postfix logs and check if there is a problem.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    108.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    112.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    116.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 34
After making a backup, I want to receive a confirmation e-mail stating that the backup has been made, it used to be, but it does not come anymore. It should come, but it doesn't, so I wanted to look at the postfix logs and check if there is a problem.
Did you start the backup manually or was the backup run by a Job that you configured? If you run the backup manually you have to specify the E-Mail for the notification manually again.

In the attached screenshot you can see, when taking the backup manually, you can specify a mail address manually in the "Send email to:" field

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926_125600.png
    Screenshot_20220926_125600.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 18
Judging from the screenshots you attached to this post, you created a verification job, not a backup job. This job verifies whether the backups are still okay, but does not create any new backups. This is why I asked how do you create the backups.

Do you have a Backup Job in PVE? (Go to Datacenter > Backup). Or do you create the backups manually (clicking on a VM/CT in the left sidebar then clicking Backup) ?

If you have a backup job, can you send a screenshot of the configuration? (see first attachment how it should look like)
If you do a manual backup then you can already see it on the screenshot I posted above, where you have to enter the email-address.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926_143218.png
    Screenshot_20220926_143218.png
    51 KB · Views: 9

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!