Possible to create a normal fat LVM along side lvm thin for Proxmox

nadrigo

Aug 20, 2017
Hi there,

Is it Possible to create a normal fat LVM along side lvm thin for Proxmox? I have set it up but I have two more hard drives I want to combine into one LVM. This way I can create a VM with 2TB drive in it as a file server. I want to use two 1.8TB drives into one LVM. I tried adding them to the LVM thin pool but it didn't work. I used old instructions which didn't work in the end so I reinstalled Proxmox and started over. I already have a NAS that acts as the true file server. This VM would be a back up of the NAS etcs... Anyone?

Thanks.

Hi,

yes this is working but I would recommend you to make two different pools.
One for LVM and one for Thin-LVM.
There are situation where it can make trouble .
Is there is are real reason to have a single pool?

Hi,

yes this is working but I would recommend you to make two different pools.
One for LVM and one for Thin-LVM.
There are situation where it can make trouble .
Is there is are real reason to have a single pool?

Thanks for the reply... I could not add the new drives. I tried using these instructions below and then found out that they are outdated so I started again.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Extending_Local_Container_Storage

Is there newer documentation to add two drives to the thin-lvm? When I got to the end of the instructions I could not resize the volume I got this error:

resize2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/mapper/pve-data
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Then I was told to use:
lvresize --poolmetadatasize +<size[M,G]> <VG>/<LVThin_pool>

I could not get that to work... My knowledge in LVM is very limited so that doesnt help. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!