Possible installation issues with 7.2 on Dell servers

May 1, 2022
Stockholm, Sweden
Having some issues with the screen not working during installation on Dell R610 server. I've tried this with 4 different monitors at our data center, but was successful with Dell R630. It appears that the screen dimensions during installation (after the initial Proxmox installation choice screen, and then the windowed CLI screen that shows after it) blanks during installation, with the monitor stating that the screen dimensions are not compatible with the monitor. The monitors are typical 19" and 24" 4:3 and 16:9 ratio. I realise this may be something to do with the older servers, but what can be done to allow this installation to be completed?

P.S. Was able to install PVE 6 on that box just fine. Definitely something different in PVE 7.

I am having the same issue with my Dell R740xd, will take some pictures of the monitor (talk about screenshots) when both installing and debug installing.
Will add them to this thread afterwards.

Hi
I have some Intel SR2400 servers.Ordinary graphic install will exit but in advanced debug mode like above post I could just see some parts of screen but with some trial and error in inputting required information installation was successful.This is better than 7.1( for that only solution was installing on Debian) So this is promising fixing main graphic install for some type of servers....

Regards

Are you installing using iDRAC mounting a virtual ISO? via iDRAC configuration you can set things including use of VNC.
I've not had an issue with ProxMox installed this way on my Dell Servers including R740xd. I probably have a solid dozen installs this way on R740DX.

Are you installing using iDRAC mounting a virtual ISO? via iDRAC configuration you can set things including use of VNC.
I've not had an issue with ProxMox installed this way on my Dell Servers including R740xd. I probably have a solid dozen installs this way on R740DX.
No, not at all. USB mounted and booting from it on a monitor attached to the server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!