Poor Windows 10 performace

Esben Viborg

Oct 12, 2017
Hi

I'm experiencing terrible performance on my Windows 10 VM, and i was hoping someone could help shine a light on what is wrong.
Yesterday I created 2 Windows 10 VM's on 2 different nodes. Both VMs have super slow performance.
If i try to run a disk benchmark the VM's freeze up.
I have several Linux and Windows server VM's running on my Proxmox nodes. All of them running with as expected (performance-wise) with the same hardware config as the Windows 10 ones.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Proxmox Host :
32 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 @ 2.20GHz (2 Sockets)
RAM : 48 Gb
Disk : 4x Samsung SSD in Raid10 (writeback enabled on controller)

PVE : 4.13.13-38

Windows 10 VM

CPU : 4 vCPU Host
RAM : 8 Gb
Disk : Scsi (writeback enabled)

Latest virtio driver installed (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers) :

QM Config:
boot: cdn
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
cpu: host
hotplug: disk,network,usb
memory: 8192
name: SON-NX-VDI-1
net0: virtio=4E:14:A9:61:AB:C7,bridge=vmbr1
numa: 1
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-171-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=50G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=a094287c-66ac-4402-8c9f-f2686a14938b
sockets: 1

But your configuration shows, you're using Scsi, for the best performance, you should use VirtIO.

The thing is that i don't have any performance issues when running anything else than Windows 10.
That reply is out of context. you are not following the guide line provided by Proxmox team. what do you want? a solution or just arguments?
Test another VM with a proper guideline.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!