pool disappeared overnight

luca63

Jul 9, 2023
Good morning, everyone.
Yesterday a strange thing happened to me, I was updating the backups to do with Vorta , but it gave me an error, it didn't have Borg running, and since it was working correctly until the day before yesterday, I went to see the log in the main page of the container , but it gives me a strange error " zfs error: cannot open 'hdd': no such pool
TASK ERROR: could not activate storage 'hdd', zfs error: cannot import 'hdd': I/O error" going to see the pool "hdd" was no longer existing , at this point what can I do ?
Questions: is it possible that the 3 HDs of 500 gb each were too full? The pool was 1300 MB
Should I re-flash all 3 HDs and redo everything ?
Is it possible to recover the pool ?

i Have proxmox 8.0.3

I don't know how your HDD's are connected, but it looks like an connection issue on the cables.
If not probably a hardware error.

But that's very weird either. Because the only reason i know, where the pool can disappear is actually only during a reboot, when zfs import can't import the pool cause none of the drives is reachable.

Otherwise if all drives loose at the same time the connection, the pool should be usually there, but degraded.

When the pool gets accessed by any means, it's not possible to either export the pool or destroy the pool.
So that should be out of guestion.

When the pool gets too big, there should nothing happen either, other as the pool is full and all the downsides that comes with it, like frozen or crashed VMs etc...

I would check first what the output is of:
zpool status
Otherwise you can try to auto import it does a scan either with:
zpool import -a

Cheers

Thank you all for the replies, I must say that I had a lot of problems.
When I did zpool status it only gave me the status of the 2 main disks contained in the ZimaBoard. One of the disks was making strange noises, so I decided to redo the pool , reformatting the disks.Now I am redoing the connection but it seems that Zima Board does not want to connect to any pc in my possession...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!