Pointers on installing PM 6.1 and working with OVS

kcallis

Apr 5, 2018
I couple of days ago, my pfSense box died, which didn't really bother me since I was planning to move pfSense to PM. First off I am working with a single interface since i running on a laptop. At this point, I have my **Arris ATT DSL Gateway**, a ** Cisco SG-300** 10 port switch, a **GL.iNet** travel router, my host for PM and an additional laptop. My goal is to install **PM 6.1** with *ovenvswitch*, and then install via **KVM**. So far, this has not worked for me and maybe some one might suggest how to get this working.

My ATT gateway has an IP address of *172.16.0.1*. I connected the GL.iNet travel router WAN port to the ATT gateway, and set the IP address of the travel router to *192.168.5.1/24* (Which would also be the management subnet for my Management VLAN). I plugged the LAN interface into the Cisco SG-300 switch (IP *192.168.5.2/24*) and after factory reset, proceeded to create my VLAN interfaces and made sure that the switch was operating as a **L3** switch.

I then installed PM 6.1, added openvswitch and configured my */etc/network/interface*. I was able to ping outside of the router, so I thought everything was good to go. I then when on to install pfSense and thought I would be creative. After installation in the pfSense image, before booting the first time, I thought I would added two vNIC to the equation, so that when I installed, pfSense would see the physical interface as well as the vNICs (for WAN and OPT) and life would be groovy. I realized that the two vNICs would not usable, so instead, I thought I would use the interface as the LAN, and during installation, I could create a VLAN (which had been already been defined on the switch) to act as the WAN. Although, looking back, I didn't not populate the VLANs with IP address and gateway.

I tried to install pfSense and it failed or at least NoVNC failed. Another issue that I am sure is going to be problematic is that my PM 6.1 has the address of *192.168.5.250*, so I am assuming that my bridge vmbr0 would have the same IP address. The problem is, within pfSense, 192.168.5.250 is still the address of my PM server and resides in my VLAN05_MGMT subnet, so I am going to assume that will cause issue. I read where someone created a Linux Bridge of 10.0.0.x and then created a OVS IntPort vmbr1 with a different IP address to use for the pfSense, but I don't think this is possible.

If anyone has some pointers, I would be greatly appreciative since I not able to get anything running at this time

/etc/network/interfaces
```
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp0s25
iface enp0s25 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0

auto inband
iface inband inet static
address 192.168.30.250/24
gateway 192.168.30.1
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
#Inbound Management

auto vlan05
iface vlan05 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=5
#MGMT

auto vlan10
iface vlan10 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=10
#CLRNET

auto vlan15
iface vlan15 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=15
#Guest

auto vlan20
iface vlan20 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=20
#VPN

auto vlan25
iface vlan25 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=25
#VOIP

auto vlan30
iface vlan30 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=30
#VM Guests

auto vlan35
iface vlan35 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=35
#LXC Containers

auto vlan40
iface vlan40 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=40
#Docker Containers

auto vlan45
iface vlan45 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=45
#Raspberry Pi/IoT

auto vlan50
iface vlan50 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=50
#WLAN

auto vlan55
iface vlan55 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=55
#Streaming/Games

auto vlan02
iface vlan02 inet manual
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=2
#WAN

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports enp0s25 inband vlan05 vlan10 vlan15 vlan20 vlan25 vlan30 vlan35 vlan40 vlan45 vlan50 vlan55 vlan02
```

Hi,

why do you make so much OVSIntPort's?
IntPorts are virtual devices for the host.
If your intention is to use these VLANs then set it on the vNIC of the VM/CT.

I would recommend you do use Linux Bridges because of fore this Setup OVS in not needed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!