[SOLVED] pmgconfig sync parse error in /etc/pmg/transport

Kodey

Oct 26, 2021
What's going on with this?
root@mail:/etc/pmg# pmgconfig sync -restart parse error in '/etc/pmg/transport': example.com lmtp:unix:/var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp - wrong format at /usr/share/perl5/PMG/Config.pm line 1196, <GEN16> line 1.

afaics, unix sockets are not supported at all for that, only "normal" host port combos with 'lmtp:inet:somehost:someport'

afaics, unix sockets are not supported at all for that, only "normal" host port combos with 'lmtp:inet:somehost:someport'
Not supported by pmg? I thought that this is a standard postfix/dovecot delivery mechanism.
Everything seems to be working with delivery. I don't understand the significance or implications of this error.
I assume the sync process didn't complete. What possible problems might I face?

yes it's not supported by pmg which is responsible for correctly configuring the postfix instances, etc.

why exactly do you want to lmtp via a unix socket though?

why exactly do you want to lmtp via a unix socket though?
Thank you for your response.
They're on the same host. Isn't that the most efficient delivery mechanism in this case?
I don't want to generate network traffic for no reason.
Also, if it's supported by postfix, how is it not regarded as correctly configured?
Dovecot is responsible for managing the virtual users mailboxes. It's not configured as a mail transport or open to the internet.
There are several options I've read about for this and probably more I haven't read about. My knowledge is probably a bit dated too.
What mechanism does pmg support/recommend for this? Is it documented anywhere?

generally it's not recommended to install too many other services on the same machine as pmg (it can work of course). the more suited way would be to seperate those things into their own vm/container/etc. and let them connect over the network.
if they run on the same machine (e.g. side by side, or different container on the same host) the "network" involved is really only copying in the memory, not much more than a local unix socket

Also, if it's supported by postfix, how is it not regarded as correctly configured?
because our software needs to parse the config file, since we want to make sure the user configures it correctly, but it also means that maybe not all options are supported that are in postfix

i mean you can generally edit the postfix config by modifying the template (see https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine) , but the remaining stack does not know about it then

That definitely fixed it.

You might think this is "really only copying in the memory", but actually, it generates network traffic which can be snooped and logged even if they are side by side. That could be desirable in some cases, but seems like overkill.
I did consider installing Dovecot as a container, but Turnkey don't offer a Proxmox Dovecot image and I was a little surprised that an imap mailbox hosting service wasn't included in PMG, and I didn't see the sense using additional resources to provide a complete mail service. Besides, I have experience configuring these side by side so I just followed my nose.

It would be nice if this configuration was supported or even provided in PMG.

Thanks heaps for the help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!