pmgconfig always brings: "nextserver: Bootstrap discovery failed. Giving up."

opti-net.prime

Jan 11, 2022
Dear Community,

I am a brand newbie for Proxmox Mail Gateway (7.1.1). As first Project I want to replace our Exchange EDGE Transport Nodes. So I am trying an fresh Installation in our VMware Environment.
Everything went fine after the first day trying in an test operation with one node getting partially our and our customer traffic.

But today I ran into an issue, which I cannot fix by myself:
I go through the procedure of tighten the very soft TLS Configuration (copy the templates into the freshly self-made "/etc/pmg/templates" folder first; then editing the copy). But after I made the config changes, going through Proxmox Admin Guide and also Postfix Recommendations, the changes weren't applied with pmgconfig sync --restart 1.
Instead I receive after a while nextserver: Bootstrap discovery failed. Giving up..

Does anybody has an idea how I get this fixed and get the changes made in the main.cf.in?

go through the procedure of tighten the very soft TLS Configuration (copy the templates into the freshly self-made "/etc/pmg/templates" folder first; then editing the copy).
Please consider only copying those templates you actually need to modify and not all files in /var/lib/pmg/templates (else you might miss changes in newer versions of the files you never intended to touch)

Instead I receive after a while nextserver: Bootstrap discovery failed. Giving up..
not 100% sure - but I think this error-message is from razor -> disable the razor-checks (GUI->Configuration->Spam Detector->Options) (or fix the configuration / your firewall policies)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: opti-net.prime
Hello,
Sorry for the late reply - was recently very busy with a few other environment changes. :(
Please consider only copying those templates you actually need to modify and not all files in /var/lib/pmg/templates (else you might miss changes in newer versions of the files you never intended to touch)
Yes, that works perfectly! Now everything is so as it should be on the SMTP side. :) Thanks, very much!
not 100% sure - but I think this error-message is from razor -> disable the razor-checks (GUI->Configuration->Spam Detector->Options) (or fix the configuration / your firewall policies)

I hope this helps!
Hm, I found out - my fault - that I have to open TCP/2703 on my firewall cluster to the razor destinations. After that the error message instantly disappears.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!