PMG Storage Questions

vix9

Feb 17, 2022
I am currently testing the Proxmox Mail Gateway on a low priority domain before we roll out on our primary mail domain. I see the recommended specs have 8GB available storage on the server, but I can't wrap my head around how that would be enough space for a domain receiving 10-15K emails a day. I built my test machine with 50GB, but I want to make sure that when I do build the production VM I don't short it on storage. Looking through documentation and previous posts, the "User Statistic Lifetime" should be what keeps my disk usage reasonable, correct?

The things that count towards the needed disk-space of your PMG installation:
* mails in quarantine (so these depend on your ruleset, and on the quarantine lifetimes (virus/spam))
* mails in the queue (in case you have a network error)
* statistics tables (this is dependendent on the statistics lifetime you configure)
* number of backups you keep on your local disk (for non-PBS backups)
* to a (much lesser) degree - your ruleset

all in all I would not worry too much about the diskspace - a productive instance I have access to (handling around that volume of mails you mentioned) - is not even using 20GB
Additionally you can resize the disk in most setups - and you even can restore a backup to a new larger machine without too much hassle

I hope this helps!

The things that count towards the needed disk-space of your PMG installation:
* mails in quarantine (so these depend on your ruleset, and on the quarantine lifetimes (virus/spam))
* mails in the queue (in case you have a network error)
* statistics tables (this is dependendent on the statistics lifetime you configure)
* number of backups you keep on your local disk (for non-PBS backups)
* to a (much lesser) degree - your ruleset

all in all I would not worry too much about the diskspace - a productive instance I have access to (handling around that volume of mails you mentioned) - is not even using 20GB
Additionally you can resize the disk in most setups - and you even can restore a backup to a new larger machine without too much hassle

I hope this helps!
This was very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!