PMG Error: Parameter Verification Failed (400)

dlhendup

Nov 9, 2020
I have a PMG 5.2.7 installation, cannot upgrade to the newest version due to some compatibility issues.

Anyway, once in a while, I have mails in quarantine that I cannot view at all, throwing a "Parameter Verification Failed (400)" message. When I click on the mail, in chrome console I get this message: {pmail: "value does not match the regex pattern"}.

Looks like a malformed message or a bug in PMG that prevents it from decoding it properly.

Anyway, is there a manual way from CLI/File System to delete the particular mail from quarantine?

you can check the quarantine also via `pmgsh` - however this also verifies the parameters against the api..

without knowing for which e-mail address the mail was put in quarantine (this is what the 'pmail' parameter is for) it's not really possible to analyze this further...

just for completeness sake - consider upgrading ASAP - PMG 5.2 has been EOL for quite a long while now - you're missing security updates (and bugfixes - maybe even for your problem...)

I hope this helps!

This is the recipient email: ahztmm/k8sn6n2fubjijmdg==_1112375229161_9wdp8svueeqdojcxhdum4q==@in.constantcontact.com

PMG is in an openvz container, on a RHEL6 host node. PMG 6.X does not seem to work on it.

This is the recipient email: ahztmm/k8sn6n2fubjijmdg==_1112375229161_9wdp8svueeqdojcxhdum4q==@in.constantcontact.com
here the slash '/' is the not allowed character - is that an actual mailbox - and if - does it need to have a slash in the localpart?
(while the relevant RFC are quite liberal in the characters they allow as localpart, I've never seen a system where a regular mailbox contains a slash)

The issue here is that a slash is also used as path-separator in the API - and encoding this in a stable manner is quite tricky - also I'm inclined not to allow even more addresses as valid, unless there is a good reason and a valid use case for such an address..

If this was a spam email to a bogus e-mail-address I would suggest to enable recipient verfication - then postfix would simply deny such a request.

regarding the message which is currently in the quarantine - it will get removed from there after it expires (has been in the quarantine longer than your configured quarantine lifetime

here the slash '/' is the not allowed character - is that an actual mailbox - and if - does it need to have a slash in the localpart?
(while the relevant RFC are quite liberal in the characters they allow as localpart, I've never seen a system where a regular mailbox contains a slash)

The issue here is that a slash is also used as path-separator in the API - and encoding this in a stable manner is quite tricky - also I'm inclined not to allow even more addresses as valid, unless there is a good reason and a valid use case for such an address..

If this was a spam email to a bogus e-mail-address I would suggest to enable recipient verfication - then postfix would simply deny such a request.

regarding the message which is currently in the quarantine - it will get removed from there after it expires (has been in the quarantine longer than your configured quarantine lifetime
Having same issue here, for bouncing mails or idmails i got them stuck and can not remove them:

1617917245562.png

Also I can not get id from those mails with:

Code:
/usr/bin/pmgsh get /quarantine/spam  --starttime 1617306350 --endtime 1617911150 -pmail a0/a5bkafr/65/eoy4pvjng==_1131923575461_fd4grghseeuufdsuupqcsg==@in.constantcontact.com  2>/dev/null

Last edited:
Having same issue here, for bouncing mails or idmails i got them stuck and can not remove them:
please post `pmgversion -v`
(and make sure you've installed the latest updates)

I hope this helps!

please post `pmgversion -v`
(and make sure you've installed the latest updates)

I hope this helps!

Code:
proxmox-mailgateway-container: 6.2-2 (API: 6.2-6/3e362107, running kernel: 5.3.10-1-pve)
pmg-api: 6.2-6
pmg-gui: 2.2-2
clamav-daemon: 0.102.4+dfsg-0+deb10u1
libarchive-perl: 3.3.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libjs-framework7: 4.4.7-1
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-3
libpve-common-perl: 6.2-2
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-6
libxdgmime-perl: 0.01-5
lvm2: not correctly installed
pmg-docs: 6.2-2
pmg-log-tracker: 2.1.7-1
postgresql-11: 11.9-0+deb10u1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-spamassassin: 3.4.4-2
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.3-2
pve-xtermjs: 4.3.0-1

Glad that worked - please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - this helps others who also run into similar issues
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!