PMG default DNS configuration

rg2

Jul 18, 2014
Hi,

I'm using PMG for almost a year now. I'm using PMG for incoming and outgoing e-mails for several domains I manage.

Since I first insalled PMG on a test environment over a year ago, I never changed the default DNS configuration on the PMG interface:

Configuration -> DNS

Search Domain: vcn.vcnoracle.com
DNS Server 1: 169.254.169.254

As you have probably guessed, I run my VMs on OCI (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure).

I never changed this configuration because I never needed. I can receive and send e-mails without any problems... but today I got the first case which I believe is related to this configuration.

My server could not deliver a message to an external domain. The error message that was returning is:

said: 554 5.7.1 This message has been blocked because the HELO/EHLO domain is invalid. (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

My HELO message is this:

220-antispam-mx1.vcn.oraclevcn.com mx1.[edited].net

Where:
"antispam-mx1" is the hostname of the VM.
"vcn.oraclevcn.com" is the Search Domain
"mx1.[edited].net" is the actual name of the server, where the PTR (reverse IP) is configured

All tests on mxtoolbox.com are all valid, not a single error... but I find it strange that all Mail Delivery System e-mails come from:

Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@antispam-mx1.vcn.oraclevcn.com>

And all Daily Spam reports come from:

Antispam@antispam-mx1.vcn.oraclevcn.com

What should I change so both the HELO message and the sender of Mail Delivery System and Daily Spam Reports are "mx1.[edited].net"?

Thanks

Reactions: rg2
see: https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#_configuration_files_overview
the fqdn (which is used in most situations) is composed of the hostname (/etc/hostname) and the search domain in /etc/resolv.conf

if possible simply configure them correctly
if not you can modify the appropriate sections of the postfix config following:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine

I hope this helps!
Thank you for the information!

Can I safely change both configuration (hostname and search domain) on the production environment? Could this change break something?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!