PMG as an e-mail proxy for the old servers

patefoniq

Jan 7, 2019
Łódź
syslink.pl
Hi there,

I've got a pretty tough question for all of you.

A long, long time ago, someone had a "brilliant" idea and ran the Exim mail server on PLD Linux. It took place about 17th, years ago.

Let's skip here my own opinion about the selected distribution and implementation method (PLD, no IMAP, no SSL, and no other security stuff). For now, the most important thing is that in the end, I stayed with an old instance of an e-mail server that does support only TLS v1.0 and has a self-signed certificate that expired in 2007. As we all know, the TLS 1.0/1.1 is depreciated and does not be supported anymore, neither by MS Exchange Online nor Google Mail.

What's on my mind is to set the PMG instance as an e-mail proxy for the old server only during the migration process onto the new engine or provider. I already created the full upgrade process plan for that, so we can skip this part entirely.

But, now the most significant question is appearing. Can PMG contact the server that only supports TLS 1.0?

My idea is to expose the PMG server to the world and forward all incoming e-mails to my old server via that mail gateway. It definitely won't be a permanent solution, I only want to have that for the migration time, which is a quite huge undertaking due to the big e-mail account amount.

I am really hoping for support from the Proxmox Team.

Many kisses ;)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!