pmg-api 7.2-3 can turn on SMTPUTF8, breaking mail flow

received an update to 7.2-4. what config should I edit to have it working?
I think installing the update should be enough - this version should work fine with deployments where smtputf8 is disabled in the postfix config (and also ones which have it in its default setting)

have you installed it and are seeing problems?

I just updated to pmg 7.2-4. so do I need to edit main.cf manually?

I just updated to pmg 7.2-4. so do I need to edit main.cf manually?
why would you want to edit it?
did you have any modifications before you ran into the issue?
if not - leave it as it was - it should work that way
if you changed something because of the issue I would recommend changing it back and then installing the update

I did not applied any workarrounds described in this thread. only apt upgrade to new pmg-api via web console.
do I ubderstand correctly, tnan:
smtputf8_enable = no
is now an defaul option in automatically generated postfix main.cf, and I do not need to edit anything.
btw i cant find it in my /etc/postfix/main.cf that was never modified manually nor via template. all configuration changes in pmg was only made via web interface.

smtputf8_enable = no
is now an defaul option in automatically generated postfix main.cf, and I do not need to edit anything.
no it's not - the postfix default did not change and we did not adapt the config to turn off smtputf8
the thing that changed is that pmg-smtp-filter now does not check the headers for utf8 characters anymore to decide if it needs to use smtputf8.

this should fix the issues described here

I'd suggest to just install the updates and report back if you run into any problems

I think installing the update should be enough - this version should work fine with deployments where smtputf8 is disabled in the postfix config (and also ones which have it in its default setting)

have you installed it and are seeing problems?
Thank you very much!
everything with default config works as expected now!

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Thanks to you all for the feedback! With diverse environments in SMTP this helps us to assess if a fix works in all environments!

Reactions: rkerber and alk
Hello,
we still have problem with utf8 even if we have the patch 7.2-4.
We dind’t change any settings manually in postfix as suggested above.

The situation is the following: we have a domain name with special characters and we created this domain in PG with the punycode format. After that it was able to receive email and deliver to our Zimbra server.

The problem encoutered is with the gmail account: all the gmail emails are sent without punycode standard but with special character. So emails from gmails are refused from PG. Probably there are others server with the same gmail format.

Error: Relay access denied;

As suggested in the forum, we also tried to create manually the domain name with the special character adding the domain as utf8 string into the /etc/pmg/domains and running postmap /etc/pmg/domains and restarted postfix. After that PG was able to receive messages from gmail but we started getting bounced from Zimbra:

Error: SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host

Please can you help us?
Regards

Attachments

• pg gmail.png
    pg gmail.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 5
Error: Relay access denied;

As suggested in the forum, we also tried to create manually the domain name with the special character adding the domain as utf8 string into the /etc/pmg/domains and running postmap /etc/pmg/domains and restarted postfix. After that PG was able to receive messages from gmail but we started getting bounced from Zimbra:

Error: SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host

Please can you help us?
I think the issue here is that zimbra does not have support for smtputf8 - you can try to disable smtputf8 in postfix then gmail should fall back to encoding the domain name in puny-code and things should work again

As the issue is not really the same as the initial one in this thread please open a new thread
Hi, thank you for your reply, we tried but nothing, gmail is sending email not in puny code, is from where we started.
How did you disable smtputf8 - did you sync the config afterwards, did you restart postfix?

please also share the logs of such a mail (with and without smtputf8 disabled)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!