[SOLVED] PMG 6.2.5 X-SPAM-LEVEL not added

Sep 1, 2020
I tried default setup of PMG 6.2.5 and it it's not changing the header to add X-SPAM-LEVEL and the result, unless the email is quarantined.

Modify Header is set to active under Mail Filter.

Shouldn't it add it to all emails, including ones not considered spam?

AFAIR the default rule selection only adds the X-SPAM-LEVEL header for mails with a spamscore of 3 and above.

in general - if a header gets added or not depends (soley) on your rule setup.
(additionally you need to have at least one what object for spam (could be level 0 as well) in each direction you want to add the header, otherwise the expensive spam-check is not performed)

see also the reference documentation on the rule system:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#chapter_mailfilter

I hope this explains it!

Thank you for the response, however, I added a second domain and for the second domain the header is modified even if the score is 0:

X-SPAM-LEVEL: Spam detection results: 0
DKIM_SIGNED 0.1 Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily valid
DKIM_VALID -0.1 Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
DKIM_VALID_AU -1 Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from author's domain
DKIM_VALID_EF -0.1 Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from envelope-from domain
HTML_MESSAGE 0.001 HTML included in message
NICE_REPLY_A -2.13 Looks like a legit reply (A)
SPF_HELO_NONE 0.001 SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record

For the first domain, doesn't matter what I try it's not adding it, I even setup pmg from scratch again, just to be sure I didn't mess up any configs.

Does PMG treat email differently for the domain under which it is ran under? What I mean if pmg host is pmg.domain1.com and I add domain1.com as a relay domain and setup transport for domain1.com to mx.domain1.com? Would it then not add the header for some reason (maybe it treats it as local?)

Does PMG treat email differently for the domain under which it is ran under?
This again would depend on your active rules - check the output of pmgdb dump

However - I would guess that the downstream server (the one where mails for domain1.com get relayed to by PMG) might remove the header

Glad the cause was found! please mark the thread as 'SOLVED'
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!