PM 1.8 - Cannot start KVM Windows Guest after reboot

mylesw

Renowned Member
Feb 10, 2011
I have a PM 1.8 server that has been running flawlessly for about 12+ months. It has about 8 OpenVZ guests (CentOS 5) and about 3 months ago, I put a Windows Server 2003 on a KVM on there. Last Friday evening, we closed it down gracefully to upgrade the memory on the box from 12GB to 32GB. Fired it back up again, and all came up fine, but with one exception... The Windows Server (KVM) refuses to start.

I logged back into the web admin interface for PM, and sure enough its there but status is 'Stopped'. I click to start it, and within a second it tries and fails and returns back to 'Stopped' status.

I checked the SysLog, and this is what I see:

screenshot_289.jpeg

No detail as to what the problem is at all.

I'm completely at a loss as to why this VM won't start, but everything else seems to be fine. Is there anywhere else I can see any logged detail of any issues for KVM startup in PM 1.8?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Myles

I have a PM 1.8 server that has been running flawlessly for about 12+ months. It has about 8 OpenVZ guests (CentOS 5) and about 3 months ago, I put a Windows Server 2003 on a KVM on there. Last Friday evening, we closed it down gracefully to upgrade the memory on the box from 12GB to 32GB. Fired it back up again, and all came up fine, but with one exception... The Windows Server (KVM) refuses to start.

I logged back into the web admin interface for PM, and sure enough its there but status is 'Stopped'. I click to start it, and within a second it tries and fails and returns back to 'Stopped' status.

I checked the SysLog, and this is what I see:

View attachment 828

No detail as to what the problem is at all.

I'm completely at a loss as to why this VM won't start, but everything else seems to be fine. Is there anywhere else I can see any logged detail of any issues for KVM startup in PM 1.8?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Myles

if a VM does not start, you should check the "task log", see "Administration/Logs/Tasks"

Thank you all for your help. I'm not much of an expert on KVM management, but I was able to work this out. When I started this via the command line, per Dietmar's instructions, I got back "VM is locked (backup)". I suspect that my problem had little to do with rebooting my server, but something left over from a past backup attempt that had failed.

Doing some more searching, I discovered a post stating to issue the command "qm unlock 104" (104 is my VMID). That worked and then it started just fine.

So I'm backup and running. Thank you all for your help. This is a great community and a wonderful open source product!

Myles

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!