Plex LXC: Multiple error including storage issue

lowrisk

Sep 5, 2023
I installed plex using this script
I think it work fine at the time but today I'm getting multiple error:

Playback ErrorAn error occurred loading items to play.
and now

Playback ErrorNot enough disk space to convert this item.
I assume this is to do with the transcoding folder which I changed to /mnt/storage/TranscodeCache but I have the same issue (transcoding which probably don't even work...)
(I have a AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G on a ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS WI-FI II)

Code:
root@plex:~# df -h
Filesystem                        Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/pve-vm--101--disk--0  7.8G  7.4G  3.8M 100% /
Storage                           1.8T  1.3T  500G  73% /mnt/storage
none                              492K  4.0K  488K   1% /dev
tmpfs                              16G  4.0K   16G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                             6.2G   96K  6.2G   1% /run
tmpfs                             5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                             3.1G     0  3.1G   0% /run/user/0

the current LXC settings are made by the script which for the disk is

local-Ivm:vm-101-disk-0,size=8G

I just did
pct resize 101 rootfs +8G
This is to work for now but how much storage do I actually need to add...

Playing a file : the video coulor is mostly green, again assuming this is a transcoding issue but I can't see if this is direct play or transcoding
Saying that this is on my Mac, (10Gbe) but it's seems to play fine on my iPhone for some reason

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 09.50.06.png
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 09.50.27.png

Judging from your CPU graph, it looks like you might be transcoding in CPU not in GPU. This might be happening because the selected target coded is not supported by the GPU or some LXC restrictions.

Plex client allows you to select the resolution / codec you want. You can select to stream without transcoding.

If you have sufficient bandwidth, transcoding rarely makes any sense due to the additional delay and workload on the server.
Modern client hardware can plan almost anything with HW support anyway. Support for decoding is far better than encoding.

Judging from your CPU graph, it looks like you might be transcoding in CPU not in GPU. This might be happening because the selected target coded is not supported by the GPU or some LXC restrictions.

Plex client allows you to select the resolution / codec you want. You can select to stream without transcoding.

If you have sufficient bandwidth, transcoding rarely makes any sense due to the additional delay and workload on the server.
Modern client hardware can plan almost anything with HW support anyway. Support for decoding is far better than encoding.
That makes sense. I was surprised that the GPU was set up properly in the LXC, even though the script didn't return any errors.

I wonder if it's not better to get a PCI-E graphics card and pass it through; that would probably be easier for me. I'm new to Proxmox and a bit lost.

To be honest, I'd rather direct play, but my understanding was that this wasn't possible with Apple TV (unless using Infuse), but maybe I'm wrong? (most likely)

I don't know about Apple TV.
For an LXC container, you do not need to pass through the GPU like in a VM because the CT is on the same machine and the same kernel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!