Plex(docker) + NFS on Proxmox

merox

Jan 12, 2022
Hello everyone, I need to know what it can be the best practice for me to install Plex on my next setup:

Proxmox 2ssd zfs mirror, 2hdd zfs mirror

I have a lxc nonprivileged container where I have portainer installed to manage the dockers, should be ok to add the plex media server here too as a docker, and create a lxc container with hdd storage and install nfs server to be linked with Plex media server ?

If you guys have a better ideas, please tell me

Thank you!

If you use LXCs, why not use bind-mounts instead of slower NFS? I would first bind-mount a ZFS dataset from the PVE host to the portainer LXC and then use bind-mounts again to bring it from the portainer LXC to the plex docker container.

Last edited:
Reactions: merox
If you use LXCs, why not use bind-mounts instead of slower NFS? I would first bind-mount a ZFS dataset from the PVE host to the portainer LXC and then use bind-mounts again to bring it from the portainer LXC to the plex docker container.
Ok, good to know and thank you, but I want also to put movies on that storage linked to plex from my PC too and I think NFS it s the best solution?

In that case I would in addition run a NFS/SMB server inside another LXC and also bind-mount the same dataset from the host to that NAS LXC.

I haven't time until now to implement this scenario, but I'm not sure how to bind-mount the same /Plex directory from LXC1 to LXC2, /Plex directory (256 GB in this case) was created with container creation as mp0 and store the .raw image on a Directory on hdd_pool, but I don't understand exactly how this /Plex directory can be mounted on LXC2 too, waiting for the info, thank you!

P.S: Short q, can be the /Plex mountpoint to be mounted in one unprivileged container and in one privileged ?

Last edited:
I haven't time until now to implement this scenario, but I'm not sure how to bind-mount the same /Plex directory from LXC1 to LXC2, /Plex directory (256 GB in this case) was created with container creation as mp0 and store the .raw image on a Directory on hdd_pool, but I don't understand exactly how this /Plex directory can be mounted on LXC2 too, waiting for the info, thank you!
You don't mount virtual disks/raw images to the LXCs. You directly bind-mount a folder from your host to your LXCs by editing the LXCs config file in the /etc/pve/lxc folder adding a line like mp0: /your/folder/on/host/Plex,mp=/target/folder/in/lxc/Plex.
P.S: Short q, can be the /Plex mountpoint to be mounted in one unprivileged container and in one privileged ?
Should work. But for the unprivileged one you need to do the manual user remapping.

Last edited:
You don't mount virtual disks/raw images to the LXCs. You directly bind-mount a folder from your host to your LXCs by editing the LXCs config file in the /etc/pve/lxc folder adding a line like mp0: /your/folder/on/host/Plex,mp=/target/folder/in/lxc/Plex.

Ok, so can I create the folder from CLI in the hddpool and then to bind mount this location to the target containers ?

pct set 100 -mp0 /mnt/pve/,mp=/nas

the above command is to be run on the HOST
100 is the container ID on the HOST
/mnt/pve is where your mounts are on HOST
/nas is the name of the mount in container 100 (should have made it maybe /mnt/nas)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!