[SOLVED] [please update] ethtool 4.19 / Kernel 5.4 (pve6.3)

Ramalama

Dec 26, 2020
Hi, the ethtool doesn't match the kernel version.

Seems like this was forgotten?

Cheers

Last edited:
PVE does not ship its own ethtool, but uses the one from Debian upstream (which is currently at 4.19)
I don't recall ever running into an issue where a mismatch between ethtool and kernel version caused any breakage (which does not mean that this could happen).

Do you have any issue which is solved by upgrading ethtool to a newer version?

Reactions: Ramalama
I thinked initially yes and opened this thread too fast.

But in the end, nope, 4.19 works fine.

Tryed to get an 2,5gb/s connection with x550... But didn't readed the driver readme.
In short, i tryed to fix the linkspeed to 2,5gb/s with ethtool, but it doesn't worked xD
Even with a newer ethtool...
But finally readed the ixgbe readme and they mention there, that 2,5gb/s only works through autonegotiation and you can't set that speed with ethtool.

And well it works through autonegotiation and I can't set the linkspeed manually xD

So yes, ethtool 4.19 is perfectly fine xD
Sry for this thread.

glad the issue is fixed!
So yes, ethtool 4.19 is perfectly fine xD
Sry for this thread.
no need to apologize! as said - I never encountered such a situation - but there probably might be one where an updated version of ethtool would be necessary :)

Reactions: Ramalama

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!