[Please help!] Noob needing help with storing VM's on ZFS boot pool and disk space quickly filling up, turning everything read only eventually.

nebyneb2357

Apr 6, 2024
I installed Proxmox on 2x1.2TB Intel enterprise SSD's a week ago. I am running a single Debian VM. Tonight everything broke. The whole system went read-only, but I was able to delete some stuff out of /var/lib/vz. I paused my Debian VM and turned off start at boot to keep things hopefully intact until it's fixed for good.

I setup the ZFS mirror when I installed Proxmox initially. Since then, I have been storing my Debian VM in local-zfs and kept the EFI data for the Debian OMVF BIOS in local. I thought this was safe to do, but I guess not. What should I pull off of the server while it's still accessable? I think i will just fresh install. How can I make local-zfs waaaaaay bigger next time?

I've seen people such as Duinin ( I think I spelled it right) talk about something like ZFS padding causing an issue and ZFS shrinking the available size, but it seems weird that only ~25GB could be used out of 1.2TB.

Last edited:
If you're doing a fresh install anyway, I would drop the mirror for root and just use the 2nd disk as storage for VMs / LXCs and whatever else.

It may be simpler to reinstall with ext4 + LVM root and just use ZFS for the virtual stuff and data / ISOs, it's much easier to do a full bare-metal backup and restore

If you're doing a fresh install anyway, I would drop the mirror for root and just use the 2nd disk as storage for VMs / LXCs and whatever else.

It may be simpler to reinstall with ext4 + LVM root and just use ZFS for the virtual stuff and data / ISOs, it's much easier to do a full bare-metal backup and restore
I re-installed Proxmox and thankfully had a backup of my VM's home directory on my NAS to restore from. It turns out that during the first install (about a week ago), when I went to make the ZFS RAD1 mirror it added my USB installation media and lowered the hd_space to the 25GB on the mirror. I have no clue why it didn't stop that from being automatically selected. I now have the full 1.2TB as a mirror.

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!