Playing with Proxmox but struggling... (unable to copy ssh id)

hughs

Dec 23, 2014
Hello All

I'm trying to setup a Proxmox cluster on a couple of spare blades at work. I've setup the first one and can connect to it through the web interface and have successfully created some VM's on it. The second blade has Proxmox on it but no VM's. The hardware is the same on both machines and Proxmox was installed from the same iso.

I've created the cluster with
Code:
pvecm create TESTC
on Blade1. On Blade2 I run
Code:
pvecm add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
, but it always comes back with a "Unable to copy ssh ID" error. Google doesn't appear to be able to help me with this one - There are references to the cman service - it's not running on Blade2 and won't start. The only way I've got it to start is by running
Code:
pvecm create TESTC
on Blade2 - clearly this is wrong because I've then got two clusters not one.

I've tried re-installing Proxmox and even tried another blade all to no avail. I've also tried
Code:
apt-get install cman
but I then get a load of dependency errors.

And yes, my switch will do multicast.

thanks!

Make sure your hosts file is defining your hosts properly and that you can ping the hosts from each-other.

Serge

Make sure your hosts file is defining your hosts properly and that you can ping the hosts from each-other.

Serge

There is definitely connection between the two machines - they can ping each other and I can ssh from one to the other. I've tried the command with the IP, the hostname and the FQDN and always get the "unable to copy ssh ID" error. It's connecting to the other machine when I run the command because it's asking for the password.

Just in case it's of any relevance, here is the result of pveversion -v:
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.2-136 (running kernel: 2.6.32-32-pve)
pve-manager: 3.3-1 (running version: 3.3-1/a06c9f73)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-32-pve: 2.6.32-136
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-1
pve-cluster: 3.0-15
qemu-server: 3.1-34
pve-firmware: 1.1-3
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-19
libpve-access-control: 3.0-15
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-23
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-8
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.1-5
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1

Ok, I'm a bit further along with this. So the authorized_keys file in ~/.ssh has a symlink to /etc/pve/priv/authorized_keys, but that file is read only and I cannot change the permissions (Function not implemented).

What now?

Last edited:
/etc/pve/ is read-only if you do not have quorum. I guess that happens because you added a second node, but multicast did not work.

/etc/pve/ is read-only if you do not have quorum. I guess that happens because you added a second node, but multicast did not work.

Thanks Dietmar, but I can omping between the machines so I think mutlicast is working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!