Planning new PBS - recomendations are welcome

Jul 26, 2021
Hi guys,

for the reason that our current PBS equiped with classic SATA-HDD is fallen into a 24/7 Job to manage 8x PVE backups with Prune, GC and verify jobs, we are planning to setup a new one with latest hardware technology.

We are planning to use AMD based server hardware with 64GB ECC RAM. The chassis has 8x SSD/NVMe slots and should be equiped with these disks:

- 2x 480GB SSD disk data center editon -> zpool mirror -> PBS system / boot disk
- 6x 3,8TB NVMe disk data center edition -> zpool RAID10 -> storage for backups

In this case I don't like to use RAIDZ1,2 for for several reasons, even if there are more space. I had read much about the different RAID levels and decided to use a mirror setup, because for easier handling of disks and much less time for resilvering in case of disk swap. In addition, some leading manufacurer gave statements, that RAID setups with parity based proceedings (like RAID5) are not longer recommended for production environments.

I would like to know if anyone has some recommendations regarding the setup or the hardware configuration.

Thanks,
Martin

Many thanks for your reply. That dRAID setup RAID-Z1 +spare seems also to compensate the disadvantage of long resilvering time for parity based RAID-Zx.

Sounds really interesting.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!