Physical vs virtual benchmarking

decibel83

Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2008
Hi.

I am planning a new installation of Proxmox VE 2 as replacement for the physical environment on the same server, this for the HA features of Proxmox 2.

Even if I am an hard supporter of the virtualization environments, I would like to make some benchmarking to know how much the virtual environment will be slower than the physical one. Please note that I will make only a virtual machine with about 100% of RAM and CPU assigned on it.

The physical server has one Intel i7-3930K Hexacore, 64Gb RAM, 2 x 120Gb SSD drives and 2 x 6Gb/s SATA drives, and an Adaptec RAID controller without BBU (but I could buy and add it).

It serves an Apache web server, a MySQL db server, some video editing with ffmpeg and the SOLR search server.

Could you help me please?
Thank you very much!
Bye.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!