Physical Harddisc to Guest System

KaG

Apr 7, 2009
vienna
Hello,

I have the idea to move a File-Server to Proxmox. The Situation is, that i have more than 500GB Files on the File Server. In my point of view proxmox build always a virtual HD for Guest Systems (The Guest System is a Win 2003 or Samba Server). ;)

Problem: In this Situation i have a virtual HD with more than 500GB and it´s not posible to backup and restore this file. and when the VHD is corrupt, nobody can restore documents or something else. :confused:

Question: Is it posible to connect a physical HD to proxmox? Maybe with NTFS or FAT or ext3? And is it posible to have this HD in a Raid 1?

I hope you know what i mean and this question is not posted

BR

KaG

Question: Is it posible to connect a physical HD to proxmox? Maybe with NTFS or FAT or ext3?

Yes, you can do that on the command line. Lets say you have an unused disk '/dev/sdc'. First, you need to partition that drive:

# fdisk /dev/sdc

assuming you create a partition called /dev/sdc1. Then create a standard KVM VM - lets assume VMID 777. Then you can use
that device inside your VM with:

# qm set 777 -ide0 /dev/sdc1

The remove the old virtual disk on the web interface.

And is it posible to have this HD in a Raid 1?

It is recommended to use a hardware raid controller.

- Dietmar

Yes, you can do that on the command line. Lets say you have an unused disk '/dev/sdc'. First, you need to partition that drive:

# fdisk /dev/sdc

assuming you create a partition called /dev/sdc1. Then create a standard KVM VM - lets assume VMID 777. Then you can use
that device inside your VM with:

# qm set 777 -ide0 /dev/sdc1

The remove the old virtual disk on the web interface.

It is recommended to use a hardware raid controller.

- Dietmar

Hello Dietmar,

thank you for the quick and excelent answer. For me that i am realy sure: That means i can take the HD or one of the Raid 1 HD out of the Proxmox System and but it in in a nother system and can read the date?

BR

KaG

I don't understand that question?

The Proxmox Server goes down (CPU fail). I need - for example - a lot of Contracts they saved on the "physical" HD at the Guest System win 2003 Server at proxmox. Today i put the HD out of the server an put it in an externaly usb HD Case and connect it to my Laptop for example or in a other Server and can normaly read all date (Filesystem ext3, FAT or NTFS) with the explorer.

So when this is posible with your solution it´s fine. I hope it´s now clear or i thing wrong?

BR

KaG

The Proxmox Server goes down (CPU fail). I need - for example - a lot of Contracts they saved on the "physical" HD at the Guest System win 2003 Server at proxmox. Today i put the HD out of the server an put it in an externaly usb HD Case and connect it to my Laptop for example or in a other Server and can normaly read all date (Filesystem ext3, FAT or NTFS) with the explorer.

That should work.

add a physical drive to vm

What I would to know is if I have a VMID say 777 and I would to mount a physical drive to be mounted to this machine in addition to the virtual disk
so that I have a drive dedicated to this KVM machine.
Can I do that?

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!